Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reducing RO pre-filters

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Iron Giant

Staff member
I have just bought some new pre-filters from which are carbon and sediment combined as i noticed my tds output had crept up to 9ppm, They say I can now just use one pre filter so my question is if I take the other one off will I have to do anything to prevent the ro leaking or will the water just go to the one pre-filter.

I live in a soft water area so thinking my membranes will be absolutely fine with the creep in tds output.

I have just bought some new pre-filters from which are carbon and sediment combined as i noticed my tds output had crept up to 9ppm, They say I can now just use one pre filter so my question is if I take the other one off will I have to do anything to prevent the ro leaking or will the water just go to the one pre-filter.

I live in a soft water area so thinking my membranes will be absolutely fine with the creep in tds output.

I would just leave the first sediment housing empty and leave the filter housings as before. I also use those carbon block sediment and chlorine block prefiler, but as our water is so sediment laden I have to continue with using the first sediment filter.

I think you can get away with using most carbon block prefilters as a sediment filter as well if they are 5 micron which our sediment and Fiberdyne c/b filters are.

In my experience with our local water which has a lot of sediment is also have a sediment prior to the filter. Reason for this is the  fiberdyne filter has outer sediment media and inner carbon media from looking at it but may be wrong. These filters were not lasting long as per specification as I could see the outer sheeting of the filter was clogged. So in effect the sediment side was exhausted but you still had good carbon left.

Adding another sediment prolonged the filter life.

This was with our water structure but may be different elsewhere.

Back