1&1

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Paul, Feb 21, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

Has any of u guys used 1&1 for web hosting, or has anybody got anything to say about it

Cheeeeeeers :)

Advertisement
  2. Iain

Iain Guru

I'll admit I'm biased but I've had three clients transfer from them to my other company already this year. Take a look at some of their reviews here. I saw one of their adverts the other ***ht "industry specific text". Google calls this "duplicate content"...

You should get a proper website done Paul you know it makes sense and would be cheaper in the long run! :)

3. laddergarder

Hi again Paul, dataflames basic hosting package is £3.99 a month, which is about £48 a year so not too dear, I have used them for years, and have found them quite good to deal with, however I am sure there are plenty of other hosting sites you could use that other forum member would also recommend.

https://www.dataflame.co.uk/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=217

+1 to GFS for linking that website, looks like he has saved you allot of headaches there.

If you are just starting up personally I wouldn't worry to much about getting a website sorted, however if you incorporate pay now buttons, and contact forums as I have did, it can be quite a useful service for your customers. Between new customers, collecting payments through my website, which I would normally have to drive back out to, or wait till the following month, I would say website pays for itself.

My only concern is when I hear people starting up a new business, and they are talking about van designs, web designs, expensive heated WFP systems. I kind of think they are heading for trouble. Generally business that have that those things have built there way up to that, and haven't started out with all that stuff right from the get go. Don't get me wrong, if you have the money to spend, then it could be spent on allot worse things, than a website, and van graphics. In the long run, these things will make you money. But when you just start, your main concern should be building you round first, then, think about making improvements.

Laddergarder

4. Paul

Paul Guest

Hello again Laddergarder I do understand what you are saying, u and do want to offer that option of payment methods, however I'm thinkin do it early on( for the price it's going to cost) and have a more mature web site than doing it a year down the line.

Am I going about it the wrong way? Just give it to me straight as the opinion of people in the know matters as this ( running a business) is going to be new to me and I don't want to set off running I want to take my time and get it rite.

Also ladder would I be able to take a look at your website thanks again and again lol :)

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

Cheap way to get quick internet presence is a blog, set up a blog Google is good and you can choose simple theme and put contact details and post updates really easy and at a later date link it to your website or facebook, I get loads of work through my blog
    like earlier posts those DIY websites or off the peg just get lost in search engines

6. Paul

Paul Guest

I'm really not computer literate enough to really start linking and blogging lol, but I'm sure they would only get lost in a search engine if you let it, I'm sure if you worked at it, it would do ok???

Or are DIY not worth doing at all ?

7. James

James Guru

Two words, Facebook Page! Easy to set up and it's free. What more could you ask for! You can easily make them look professional and advertise/market them with ease. Saves faffing around if you wan't a quick internet presence.

James.

8. Paul

Paul Guest

I will be doing a facebook page but I know first hand from my last employer a wc that in the year or so he has had a web site it's made him Thousands he went from being a small company makeing a small amount, to a having a large income of around £7000/10000 per month, and he says it's just about all from his website, and he's done that in around 2 years

Also I'm really looking to the future.

9. laddergarder

I don't know if I would believe that to be honest, I wouldn't say it has been a substantial reason as to why we have grown as much as we have. Over the past five years I would say the majority of our work has come from, flyers, door knocking, and word of mouth. I have been cleaning windows for 5 years and have only just got round to making a website in the last year. The only reason I did it, was because I wanted to incorporate a payment method.

www.mcmanuswindowcleaning.co.uk

Paul, if you want my honest advice, I am very computer literate, I can do OK with, HTML, CCS, PHP, Javascript. I am very good with Photoshop and have use Dreamweaver often. I studied computer programming at college for three years when I was younger, and to it has remained a long time hobby of mine. Admittedly my education was more based on developing native aps, using languages like java, delphi pascal.

With that in mind, I would say it took me a few month to get my site up and running, just working on it when I could over weekends etc, and I ran into problems I had to problem solve as well. That is the first website I have every setup from scratch, so was quite pleased. I think I could do it allot faster, but to be fair the contents probably took up a large part of my time. I think I wrote about 15 pages of text about our services, policies etc.

If you were to dive into that now when you are not sure about blogging, I think you would struggle, I would help you as much as possible to get a site going, but it wouldn't be something that you would get going in a couple of weeks or anything like that.

So my main concern knowing what I know now, is that if I did that when I started then would waste allot of time, I should have spent knocking doors. We are getting it to the light ***hts now. My advice would be to think about business cards, flyers and get ready to start door knocking every evening that comes.

Nearly Cleans advice there is solid, you can have an online presents that wont cost you anything and wont take up a major part of your time. I would still recommend you register that domain so nobody takes it. But don't setup hosting yet, get flyer and business card designs done, and if you have any spare time you can work on giving webdesign ago, but you can have the website fully designed and setup on your local machine before you get hosting. You can download a free piece of software called easyPhp that will allow you to host the site locally to test you php.

One thing you could do, is read Oriely's Learning PHP, MySql & Javascript. This is a good book I enjoyed reading and will give you a good basic foundations for the various technologies you can use. If you read and understand this book, going through all the examples, you should be competent to not only create your own website, but create a basic forum, or Social Networking site.

10. Paul

Paul Guest

Thanks for all that info ladder, I do get where you are coming from I think it's a case of me running before I walk again.

On the other hand I don't want a over***ht website, like you said It can take months, but I do want something in place for payments and health and safety info but abit further down the road.

I think I'm just getting abit excited about the whole thing think I'll give myself a slap and slow down. Lol
    Thanks again fellas

Also ladder the website looks great says all it needs to say without having hundreds of pages of bull****, the sort of thing I'm looking to have really.

Advertisement