10k to invest. New to industry. Want to try wpf. What to buy, will it work?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Tom101, Mar 8, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Tom101

Tom101 Newcomer

Total newbie, I want to be self employed, I have 10k to invest in wpf, Is this really a viable business or is it a saturated market? excuse the pun

I'm willing to learn, dexterous and active enough to handle it, I'd need a van, all equipment and would be starting from scratch, any advise on what to learn and the best systems available would be great.

I'd have to build a round too, I'm in Oxford where we have lots of luxury properties and lots of affluent people.

I'd love to be my own boss and stop making other people money but i'm in need of guidance and advise.

Hope to hear from some of you who have recently started up,

Many thanks

Advertisement
  2. BenjiRixon

BenjiRixon Active Member

Before spending a penny. See if you could help someone on their round for a week and see if it's for you. Ask lots of questions and learn a bit about the setup/pricing/routine etc at the same time. I personally love it. But can't say it's for everyone. Like any thing in life you get out what you put in.

Good luck on your journey :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. boarcity

boarcity Guest

its tough , do you like getting wet ? if so crack on with no delay before doubts creep in .

4. abs

abs Guru

I'd say buy a van now , put everything into it if your commited they is loads of work out there if you commit yourself , think of a name and create a website and a Facebook page any business it's what you make it it will take a year possibly to be on £250 a week

5. SPCleaning

SPCleaning Guru

I think you should buy a squeegee, bucket and a ladder. Learn the job, learn about customers, learn about pricing and then spend your money when you are sure. Lots of people come and invest in wfp, then find it is not for them.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I have been back on the glass for myself since last june and am nearly.at 2k a month so hard work pays off but i agree i would go trad for a while to build up a customer base and see how you get on
    You may find you enjoy it and get a cheap backpack for tops and stay tradding bottoms
    Then you would have £9500 still in your pocket

7. abs

abs Guru

Never thought of it like that lol the £9500 in the bank seems very apealing :)

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

If it works and you like it you can always spend out on a van mount while the money is already rolling in

9. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

Yup....I agree with Benji, SPC and Daveyboy.....£10,000 is a hell of a lot of money to invest in something you nothing about.

10. Tom101

Tom101 Newcomer

I'm not saying I intend to spend it all, that's a few k less that I have to potentially start a business. Window cleaning seemed a reasonable choice as the start up costs are fairly low as there is no premises involved keeping costs down. I thought I'd come on here and get some industry advice. Everyone has to start learning somewhere when a new skill set is needed. What are the timescales involved in learning the trade well enough to be able to operate at a professional level? Are there any accredited training paths? All advice much appreciated, many thanks

Advertisement