Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

going it alone!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

RHYS2015

Hey guys, been window cleaning for past 4 years for a company (on minimum wage) recently me and employer have been having problems (he isnt very reliable / has a day off at least twice a week) after a bit of a disagreement today im now unemployed...

Im looking at starting by myself (have some money saved up to buy my own equipment & ladders)

Does anyone have any tips on how to pick up work i.e - whats the best line when people first answer door when canvassing?

Best way to write receipts after doing windows?

I havent really done much with customers as always worked with my boss so he done all that

I have however picked up a few jobs in my street (3 houses, 1 bungalow) not massive money but its a start

Im pricing an average house (front 2 up 1 down & door) at £4 would you agree thats fair ?

Thanks for any help

Basically just get some decent looking business cards and go door Knockkng every evening just be yourself, 'hi there, I just wondered if you needed a window cleaner at all' always worked for me.

As for price, just price to what you feel is worth your while, personally I'd say £4 is quite cheap, I do fronts for a minimum of £6...

Charge what ever you are happy to work for,

Then when you've cleaned the windows just need a little ticket to drop in the letter box

Saying windows cleaned today date and price phone number and could have bank details on the back plus extra services you do ?

Get cheap business cards from vistaprint

20 squid for 500 i think

Only give them to new customers not to people who umm and aah about it as they will just chuck them

Give a couple to each new customer and say to them if you know anyone who needs a window cleaner give them one of these

Most people are more than happy to pass your name on if you do a good job

Just a bit of paper will do for letting people know you've cleaned theirs..or write on the back of a business card

Then just get out and knock knock knock

And then knock again lol

And then knock even more,

Basically just keep canvassing mate, you'll get there!

£4 for fronts is about the going rate around here (done a bit of research) rang a few companys and enquired as to how much my house would be (2 up 1 down) a few said £3 a few £4 1 or 2 @ £5 so sticking with the average,

I have priced up a few tonight after going out knocking doors got a few £10 houses & a few £8 so not too bad just have to get some cards sorted so i look a bit more serious than a stranger turning up at there door scribbling my details on a scrap of paper /emoticons/smile.png

Also i dont want to go to cheap but obviously im trying to pick up work ASAP, with my old boss i used to do 3 - 4 houses an hour at £7 a house i would be more than happy to be on that wage but at moment even if i pull in enough work to take my time and hit £14 an hour i would be happy until i get more work in, i have been on about £7 an hour for past few years working for someone else so anything over thats an advantage really

£4 for fronts is about the going rate around here (done a bit of research) rang a few companys and enquired as to how much my house would be (2 up 1 down) a few said £3 a few £4 1 or 2 @ £5 so sticking with the average,
I have priced up a few tonight after going out knocking doors got a few £10 houses & a few £8 so not too bad just have to get some cards sorted so i look a bit more serious than a stranger turning up at there door scribbling my details on a scrap of paper /emoticons/smile.png
Buy yourself a clipboard too. You can write down stuff on it easier than leaning on a brick wall and makes you look more professional.

I don't use paper or clipboard

I take my kindle fire or smartphone and enter all details straight on to my round spreadsheets In Front of the customer

I think that looks good as I can say there you go you're all set up

I take a lorry with me with a 62inch touch screen TV, I then preceded to enter the details in front of the customer that way, fireworks then go off and lots of steamers as the details are finally entered.

In all seriousness all you need is some decent cards from vista print, and a note pad to write the address down etc, you can use clipboards and tablets, but it's not essential - at least it wasn't for me..

It isn't essential I was just saying what I do

But a notepad and cards sufficed for years before

I just think it looks good

Anyway, sounds like your doing the right thing @RHYS2015, keep it up and you'll soon have a day's work, then two then three etc, it does take time, and you'll have good days and bad days canvassing, but you'll defo get there if your consistent mate

It isn't essential I was just saying what I doBut a notepad and cards sufficed for years before

I just think it looks good
Yeah your right mate I was just messing about /emoticons/wink.png

Also i dont want to go to cheap but obviously im trying to pick up work ASAP, with my old boss i used to do 3 - 4 houses an hour at £7 a house i would be more than happy to be on that wage but at moment even if i pull in enough work to take my time and hit £14 an hour i would be happy until i get more work in, i have been on about £7 an hour for past few years working for someone else so anything over thats an advantage really
Remember that what you are happy to earn as an employee is a lot different to what you want, and more importantly need, to earn as a sole trader. You are going to have overheads such as insurance, petrol, tools need replacing, chems, and so on. Just something to bear in mind. Don't go in cheap, you'll only regret it late. Just price fair (for you and them).

£230-280 dependant on hours worked 30-40. i think you can expect to do much better for yourself very soon. to get a take home of 280 a week you'd need to have an average house price of £7 on 40 homes a week x 4. so work your butt off knocking this summer and you'll get to 160 properties a month and perhaps only be working 8-10 days a month for same money. but your average price needn't be £7, get that average up and your weekly will fly up e.g. for the same work at an average of £10 a house the weekly jumps to £400. manny window cleaners have a much higher average. don't be afraid to ask a high price, you can always drop the price if it puts them off. go for it!

A website is good to have too, as a steady stream comes to you rather than you going out to get it. I had 6 enquiries from mine today. 1x gutter clear, 1x 'P' shaped conny roof, 1x gutter clear and S/F/G, 1x 5 bedroom house @ 4 weekly and 2x large 3 bedroom houses @ 4 weekly. The only one I'm really that arsed about getting is the 5 bedder. I'll be too expensive for the gutter clear and S/F/G jobs, so probably will be wasting my time even turning up to quote and the 2x 3 bedders are barterers, so I'll be too expensive for them as well :rofl:

Well said Bigfoot

Pricing is the key

10x £5 houses or 5x£10 houses a day

Still 250 notes a week but what would you rather do??

I made that mistake years ago and took me ages to sort pricing out after

Don't fall under the assumption that you need to take on any and every cheap Shite job you can get as looking for the better paid ones pays off sooner than you realise

I just knock and stand away from the door a bit and smile'' hi have you got a window cleaner?'' Then wait for a respond.

If it yes then I say ''no worries thanks for your time'' and move on... Sometime when I walk away they come running out asking if I could give them my card.

If it a no, I say ''Would you like one?''... If they come across unsure then don't pressure them, just say ''can I leave you my card cos I work in this area and I am local''

Then they will start asking how much would it be...

IMO it very important you say your price with confidence... Mention you clean sills/ frames and doors and it will get you work.

Hi & welcome

I could write a book on sales & marketing but I sure some might find the lingo like "arshole tax" and smurf them prices a bit confusing /emoticons/biggrin.png

Good luck in your new venture as there is nothing like being broke to get you off yer **** and doing something about it :thumbsup:

[media]

I do the same sort of thing except I speak like I would normally and don't talk any different

"Morning/afternoon do you need a window cleaner?"

Yes = sort details/quote etc

No = "no worries worth a knock..have a good un"

Back