Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

State of DIY ro system after 1.5 years.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nudel

So my DIY RO system have been running pretty much non stop for the last 1.5 year. It's a simple 150 gpd (~24 litres per hour depending on temperature) running on water pressure only. I use about 1000-1500 litres a week now, but only used 500 before the summer when I installed my tank.

Can't remember the price but it probably cost me about 50£. Probably 100£ if you include all the spare parts I have accumulated. 

It produces 0ppm water effortlessly with my 70-100ppm input, although a bit slow. Am building a 600 litres storage system in the basement now to better keep up with usage, but more on that in a later post. (Yes, it does have a ultrasonic sensor to measure water levels and a small oled screen to show the output).

The point with this post though is to show a few pictures.

Overview:

IMG_20171016_150537.jpg

Inlet:

IMG_20171016_150558.jpg

Can you guess which one is waste and which one is pure?:

IMG_20171016_150551.jpg

Thought some of you might find that interesting, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is like my ro mate

Bought it as a full ro unit ( 450gpd) but broke it down to seperate pieces and used it how i want to

That is like my ro mate

Bought it as a full ro unit ( 450gpd) but broke it down to seperate pieces and used it how i want to

Yeah, this is bought as individual parts to save on import tax, but a complete system would be good as well. Just didn't bother with all those filters I felt were unnecessary. I will probably have to upgrade to a 450gpd at some point.

Looks great  :1f609:

Thanks, I guess. :p At least it works, and it's portable as well.

Riveting.  

I might have tried to oversell my own enthusiasm for colour degeneration on clear plastic hose.

What kind of waste do you get from that nudel? I was thinking of something similar

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I believe I run it at about 2:1 or 3:1 waste:pure. No water meter here so didn't bother to tune it further.

A small system like this goes a long way. In the beginning I made pure directly into my barrels, and thus had to check them every two hours to see if they were full. So a stationary solution was next, but it wasn't until I did a solenoid and float valve solution I got to the point when it wasn't that cumbersome. A bilge pump also saved a lot of time filling barrels from the stationary.

Yeah, this is bought as individual parts to save on import tax, but a complete system would be good as well. Just didn't bother with all those filters I felt were unnecessary. I will probably have to upgrade to a 450gpd at some point.

Thanks, I guess. :p At least it works, and it's portable as well.

I might have tried to oversell my own enthusiasm for colour degeneration on clear plastic hose.

I believe I run it at about 2:1 or 3:1 waste:pure. No water meter here so didn't bother to tune it further.

A small system like this goes a long way. In the beginning I made pure directly into my barrels, and thus had to check them every two hours to see if they were full. So a stationary solution was next, but it wasn't until I did a solenoid and float valve solution I got to the point when it wasn't that cumbersome. A bilge pump also saved a lot of time filling barrels from the stationary.
Mine has 3 x 150gpd membranes so fills at a reasonable rate

Only have the 1 prefilter also as no sediment in my tap water

Back