Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Aquatec pump keeps blowing fuses???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Wayne33

Hi Guys

My Purefreedom Aquatec pump keeps blowing 7.5 amp fuses?. The pumps pressure started to go up and down recently causing erratic flow.

Then one day last week the flow controller stopped working, The fuse was blown when i checked it,  i replaced the fuse but pump didnt start.

When i tapped the pump it started to work again but only briefly before stopping and displaying " DE ". 

Its now blown 4 fuses and the pump only starts to work when you tap the bottom of the pump by the pressure switch but then blows fuse again and stops.

I was about to order a new pump but ive read that it could be the pump controller or the pressure switch?.

Has anyone experienced this and could tell me if i need a new pump / pressure switch or controller?.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Wayne

It sounds like the pump, if it is seizing up you would get high current flow hence it blows the fuse, a little clue is is displaying DE the time you had that. Trouble is blowing 4 fuses is going to of put the controller under strain and you wouldn't of done it any favours.  

Hi Guys

My Purefreedom Aquatec pump keeps blowing 7.5 amp fuses?. The pumps pressure started to go up and down recently causing erratic flow.

Then one day last week the flow controller stopped working, The fuse was blown when i checked it,  i replaced the fuse but pump didnt start.

When i tapped the pump it started to work again but only briefly before stopping and displaying " DE ". 

Its now blown 4 fuses and the pump only starts to work when you tap the bottom of the pump by the pressure switch but then blows fuse again and stops.

I was about to order a new pump but ive read that it could be the pump controller or the pressure switch?.

Has anyone experienced this and could tell me if i need a new pump / pressure switch or controller?.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Wayne

This is going to be a process of elimination.

1. Remove the controller from the system and connect your pump up to the battery with a new fuse in the fuse holder. The pump will run at full speed. It should work ok if the pump is good. If you have to tap the pump to get it to work then the controller would seem to be ok.

2. Reconnect the controller and disconnect both wires (spade terminals) from the pressure switch and join the wires together. Put in a new fuse and see what happens.

If your controller has been calibrated properly the controller will do the job of the pressure switch. The pressure switch is used as a backup.

If it blows the fuse again it isn't the pressure switch.

3. It would seem to point to the motor having a fault. If you open the motor up you will be able to inspect the commutator on the end of the armature where the brushes are. Do the segments look clean or is one burnt? Have you got plenty of length of carbon brush left. Usually having to tap the motor indicates a short in the wiring or a faulty armature.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the pump, if it is seizing up you would get high current flow hence it blows the fuse, a little clue is is displaying DE the time you had that. Trouble is blowing 4 fuses is going to of put the controller under strain and you wouldn't of done it any favours.  

I'm of the feeling that his pump is at fault tbh.

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.

Regards Wayne
Change for a 10Amp fuse instead

This is going to be a process of elimination.

1. Remove the controller from the system and connect your pump up to the battery with a new fuse in the fuse holder. The pump will run at full speed. It should work ok if the pump is good. If you have to tap the pump to get it to work then the controller would seem to be ok.

2. Reconnect the controller and disconnect both wires (spade terminals) from the pressure switch and join the wires together. Put in a new fuse and see what happens.

If your controller has been calibrated properly the controller will do the job of the pressure switch. The pressure switch is used as a backup.

If it blows the fuse again it isn't the pressure switch.

3. It would seem to point to the motor having a fault. If you open the motor up you will be able to inspect the commutator on the end of the armature where the brushes are. Do the segments look clean or is one burnt? Have you got plenty of length of carbon brush left. Usually having to tap the motor indicates a short in the wiring or a faulty armature.

Thanks Spruce i will try this tomorrow.

Change for a 10Amp fuse instead

I tried a 10 amp 1st and it blew that also, the only reason i put a 7.5 in is because thats what was in there when i 1st looked 

and it has been working fine for over 6 months since i bought the van with set up already in it.

I have since read that these pumps should be running a 10 amp, i will be ringing Purefreedom tomorrow to double check.

Back