Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

4040 RO Booster Pump

P4dstar

Premium Member
I've had my 4040 RO for 12 months now. Got it from Doug at Daqua who I can't rate highly enough. I've always been good at changing my filters as per the recommendations, flushing regularly etc etc. The unit is kept away from frost and I like to think well looked after. The issue I always had was it was running at 40psi and would only ever give a 91-92% rejection rate.

After much deliberation I decided to invest in a booster pump. Bought from X-Line and double checked it would be sent wired and ready to go. It arrived all ready and I can't rate it highly enough. I'm now getting between 70-90psi and a 96% rejection rate so the pump will pay for itself. Link and pictures below incase it's useful to anyone else in the future. Thanks @spruce and @Tuffers for your help with this.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/en/xline-shop-2/wfp-controllers-pumps/240v-booster-pump-with-electronic-shutoff-detail

Screenshot 2019-05-09 21.27.40.png

I've had my 4040 RO for 12 months now. Got it from Doug at Daqua who I can't rate highly enough. I've always been good at changing my filters as per the recommendations, flushing regularly etc etc. The unit is kept away from frost and I like to think well looked after. The issue I always had was it was running at 40psi and would only ever give a 91-92% rejection rate.

After much deliberation I decided to invest in a booster pump. Bought from X-Line and double checked it would be sent wired and ready to go. It arrived all ready and I can't rate it highly enough. I'm now getting between 70-90psi and a 96% rejection rate so the pump will pay for itself. Link and pictures below incase it's useful to anyone else in the future. Thanks @spruce and @Tuffers for your help with this.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/en/xline-shop-2/wfp-controllers-pumps/240v-booster-pump-with-electronic-shutoff-detail

View attachment 16406

I would recommend you tweek the waste to pure ratio a little to see if this will make any difference to the rejection rate. Just one more percentage point will make a difference.

Iam seriously considering a pump myself,whats your tds now compared to before,and iam not sure what is meant by rejection rate,can u help,please.

Another way of explaining rejection rate is efficiency. How efficient is your membrane at removing impurities in your tap water? So in @P4dstar's case his r/o was only removing 91% of the impurities leaving his resin to 'polish' the other 9% off to make his water pure.

If his water from the tap was 100ppm then the pure leaving the membrane would be 9ppm.

If your tap water is 260ppm and the pure from your r/o is 15ppm then follow this to find your r/o's efficiency. 260 - 15 = 245. 245 ÷ 260 = 0.9423. 0.9423 x 100 gets you to a percentage = 94.23%. Now you know your rejection rate. One of the suppliers once advised that an r/o producing less than 94% is a candidate for a new replacement membrane.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend you tweek the waste to pure ratio a little to see if this will make any difference to the rejection rate. Just one more percentage point will make a difference.
I'm toying with it. Only used 300 litres today so there wasn't much time to toy around with it though.

Iam seriously considering a pump myself,whats your tds now compared to before,and iam not sure what is meant by rejection rate,can u help,please.
My TDS fluctuates so much it;'s difficult. Tonight I'm getting 260 from the tap and with the booster pump on 13-14 out of the membrane. Without the booster pump I'm getting 22-23.

Thats TDS drop is quite small at first glance but I remember someone once explaining that the higher the TDS the faster the resin will run out (not just in the obvious sense) If for example you had a TDS of 10 and changed resin every 6 months then a TDS of 20 should mean a resin change every 3 months. In reality it would last less, maybe every 2 months. A good example of this is Tuffers recent resin change, he gets a TDS of around 8 from his membrane and didn't change his resin between 2017 and this week.

Another way of explaining rejection rate is efficiency. How efficient is your membrane at removing impurities in your tap water? So in @P4dstar's case his r/o was only removing 91% of the impurities leaving his resin to 'polish' the other 9% off to make his water pure.

If his water from the tap was 100ppm then the pure leaving the membrane would be 9ppm.

If your tap water is 260ppm and the pure from your r/o is 15ppm then follow this to find your r/o's efficiency. 260 - 15 = 245. 245 ÷ 260 = 0.9423. 0.9423 x 100 gets you to a percentage = 94.23%. Now you know your rejection rate. One of the suppliers once advised that an r/o producing less than 94% is a candidate for a new replacement membrane.

thanks for that spruce

View attachment 16406
As I said,looking into buying  a pump,pure freedom equivalent £560

How many litres an hour are you getting of pure?

One of the key points in setting your waste to pure ratio is set it at max 55 % waste 45 % pure. if you set it higher then the ppm creeps up.

People often make the mistake i they close the waste more they get more pure but the difference in minimal. The rejection rate then decreases and more risk of clogging your membrane up.

Mines at roughly 60 waste to 40 pure. This pushes the booster to push the pressure higher to about 100 psi. This gets me the best reading pre di, down to about 12 to 14 from a tap reading of 540. If I have less pressure through opening the waste valve more and more water going to waste, the tds pre di goes up. However, it always amazes me how when its set at its best, the valve doesnt have far to go before its closed! Is this normal? 

How many litres an hour are you getting of pure?

One of the key points in setting your waste to pure ratio is set it at max 55 % waste 45 % pure. if you set it higher then the ppm creeps up.

People often make the mistake i they close the waste more they get more pure but the difference in minimal. The rejection rate then decreases and more risk of clogging your membrane up.
I'm at about 55/45 now I think. I wonder if the membrane has become a little clogged up running at a low psi for the last 12 months. I'll keep going with it until it truly starts to degrade, not looking forward to changing it haha.

Back