Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

transfer pump

trevor peacock

Got my ro system up and running, thanks for all the help.

I've got an ibc 1000lt tank which has an outlet which I can get an outlet to 1nch hose adapter so I thought rather than using a submersible why not use an external pump, I've already got the 1 inch hose and nozzle from varitech but the pumps I've found are quite pricey, any idea's or recommendations?

Clarke SPE800 1” Self Priming Pump - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

If you have it low down on the floor then you shouldn't have an issue. If you have it above the level of the IBC tank then you will need a brass foot valve (plastic isn't heavy enough) and you will need to prime it. I have mine in a cupboard above the IBC tank (I heat the cupboard with a 40 watt light bulb during freezing conditions). I have a length of 1" transfer pipe from Machine Mart going into the tank through the vent hole in the filler cap - I removed the vent. Its worked this way since 2007.

Can a booster pump be used as a transfer pump?
I have.

I have never had one single problem with it. The pipe after the pump runs along the garage floor next to the wall and is hooked up higher than the pump at the door. This stops any siphoning from happening. The pump is always full of water, so in effect is a booster. I screw another length of hose onto that out to the van. When the gas board was renewing the pipes we couldn't park on the drive, so had to fill the van in the street. I just bought another 20 meters of transfer hose and joined them together.

In future I will replace that pump with a submersible. The only reason being is than I wouldn't have to heat the cupboard as the sub pump will always be protected against ice, being at the bottom of the tank. I have had the water in the transfer pipe on the floor freeze, but I have never had water in the IBC tank freeze.

found the pump a lot cheaper at tool-net, might go for the next one up for a bit of ooompf
Trevor, there are cheaper pumps available. Machine Mart also isn't the cheapest supplier.

What you need is either a plastic or stainless steel housing and a plastic, stainless impeller.

My mate has a pump with a cast iron housing and that sends a dose of rusty water down his pipe. So he has to flush his transfer pump each time before he fills his tank. What a pain in the butt.

His looks like one of these.

Clarke BIP1500 1" Electric Water Pump - Site Equipment, Water Pumps & Hoses, Booster & Centrifugal Water Pumps

Machine Mart is 10 miles away and always have everything I have ever needed in stock. They are also a really helpful bunch of guys working in the Stockton on Tees outlet.

This is one of the few retail companies I've come across where the sales people have an intimate knowledge of their products. That counts for a lot in y books. (I have a small compressor but they refused to sell me an air impact wrench as they knew my compressor wouldn't keep up with its air demand. I used to sell air tools and compressors so knew that, but I just wanted it for short bursts that the air in the receiver would be able to supply. But no, they refused. I applaud them for that. Total opposite to the lady working in Halfords who told me a right load of rubbish trying to sell me a product not fit for the purpose I wanted. For her it was a sale at all costs.)

Back