Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Big House

/emoticons/wink.png Having a business bank account is professional when customers pay in they sue your business name not your personal name /emoticons/smile.png Customers see you more as a business this way /emoticons/smile.png
They only see it with checks though, dont they?

Essentially yeah just cheques. At the end of the day, its not a massive issue. I always just felt uncomfortable when customers said who do i make it out to.... as soon as you say, make it out to "your name", people just think oh right, so thats a tax dodge thing. I trade as a company name, and i had customers in the early day who made cheques out to my company name and then i had to say er, no can you write me another one.

It just feels more professional that way.

Having said that I pay £13 a month for my own bank account. Im sure i must be a sucker for doing that.... but then i get free Green flag breakdown.... free phone ins and free travel ins. so everytime i get pi**ed off and think im going to cancel it I think.... hang about its a good deal.

One thing i know for sure.... if i told my commercial customers to pay into an account which is anything but a business account, they would ask questions....

Each to their own. And dont get me wrong... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong as a sole trader in using your own bank (other than the fact HMRC dont like it). It also help me do my accounts, as i know everything in the business account is pre tax and everything in my own account is post tax. I declare everything. Which again, im sure you'll have people saying thats mad, i dont declare a thing. Thats up to them, but i never want to be in a position where Mr tax man comes round and puts me and my family in a bad position......

Everything is personal choice.

Essentially yeah just cheques. At the end of the day, its not a massive issue. I always just felt uncomfortable when customers said who do i make it out to.... as soon as you say, make it out to "your name", people just think oh right, so thats a tax dodge thing. I trade as a company name, and i had customers in the early day who made cheques out to my company name and then i had to say er, no can you write me another one.

Having said that I pay £13 a month for my own bank account. Im sure i must be a sucker for doing that.... but then i get free Green flag breakdown.... free phone ins and free travel ins. so everytime i get pi**ed off and think im going to cancel it I think.... hang about its a good deal.

One thing i know for sure.... if i told my commercial customers to pay into an account which is anything but a business account, they would ask questions....

Each to their own. And dont get me wrong... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong as a sole trader in using your own bank (other than the fact HMRC dont like it). It also help me do my accounts, as i know everything in the business account is pre tax and everything in my own account is post tax. I declare everything. Which again, im sure you'll have people saying thats mad, i dont declare a thing. Thats up to them, but i never want to be in a position where Mr tax man comes round and puts me and my family in a bad position......

I agree on the last part, I put everything through the books. It can come back in bit you in the **** if you dont.

Well said

Back