Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Rate

WCF

Help Support WCF:

doug atkinson

Can someone tell me water their water rate is, the actual cost of water per cubic meter (1000 l) not waste just cost of actual water.

Had a look at one water company and was £0.3686 per cubic meter. Just want to see if this is about right what you would be paying.

J S that sounds very cheep. If you are on a water meter on the bill it will say units used and price per unit. You then have a return to sewer which is 95 % of what is used. If not then your charge is fixed. Reason I am asking this question as have been playing around with ro systems and have reduced waste by 50 % and want to work out if it is cost effective

It depends what you do with your waste

If you can meter what waste you produce and send it all to the garden to water plants etc you won't have to pay sewerage on it anyway

Can someone tell me water their water rate is, the actual cost of water per cubic meter (1000 l) not waste just cost of actual water.
Had a look at one water company and was £0.3686 per cubic meter. Just want to see if this is about right what you would be paying.
Here's our water supplier's prices Doug:

Northumbrian Water - Tariffs and charges

We aren't on a meter btw.

We use 79,000 liters of water (pure + waste) every 3 months. As our 4040 is set at approx 1 : 1 pure to waste ratio we use roughly 13000 liters of pure a month.

I have a water meter on the r/o so I know when to replace the carbon block prefilter; at every 79k liters.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends what you do with your wasteIf you can meter what waste you produce and send it all to the garden to water plants etc you won't have to pay sewerage on it anyway
Shortly after starting to use my original 225GPD r/o I decided that I would use the waste water to water the garden. I used to r/o my water directly into the trailer tank overnight. Our back garden is on a gradual slope away from the house and slightly higher than our neighbours rear garden. Along our adjoining fence is a garden running the full length with flowers, creepers and roses. I connected the waste to our garden hose and put it in the top slope of the flower bed presuming that the waste water would slowly find it way down the bed.

Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. The water absorbed into the ground and came up in our neighbour's back garden and flooded the place. A 3 : 1 waste to pure restrictor meant that I had dumped 1100 liters of water into his garden overnight. Our neighbour wasn't impressed and 11 years later still reminds me of it. He thinks I accidentally left the hose running all night.

I decided that I either had to put the waste down the drain or add another IBC tank to water the garden manually. I put the water down the drain as its the safest option.

-

Thanks Spruce just what I was looking for . So if you were on a meter then your waste would cost you £189 a year. And if you proved your return to sewer then would cost you another £173.

So total waste costs £362 a year.

A lot of window cleaners on a meter would not challenge waste to sewer so would be charged on whole production which would cost them alone on waste to sewer £332 a year based on your figures.

Many thanks at last have an answer so can work on this.

Dankie

Personally i have set mine up with an irrigation system running the whole length of the garden both sides but ending in the drain for any that doesn't make it into the garden (most of it lol ) but have a blank for the end of the pipe if i needed to have it all to the garden

This is for when i get my meter installed in another 18 months - 2 years which is when we have been told they will be fitted round here

I can show anyone who asks that it goes to the garden and meter it for the water board

Whether it goes to the drain or not in reality they will never know

By law you have to let them install the metre, however, I think you don't have to be plumbed into it as you bought your house without it.

If you sell your house, the new owners have to use the metre

Thanks Spruce just what I was looking for . So if you were on a meter then your waste would cost you £189 a year. And if you proved your return to sewer then would cost you another £173.
So total waste costs £362 a year.

A lot of window cleaners on a meter would not challenge waste to sewer so would be charged on whole production which would cost them alone on waste to sewer £332 a year based on your figures.

Many thanks at last have an answer so can work on this.

Dankie
Dankie. Dis 'n plessier.

/emoticons/biggrin.png

I don't understand the return to sewer charges tbh.

Our water and sewerage costs £57 a month for 10 months not being on a meter.

The other thing is that living on the coast, sewerage is treated like any other side side resort - its dumped into the Great North Sea sewerage works.

We only have 1 drain system, which is both the sewage and storm water drain off the roofs. In the last 5 years they've built some very large below ground level storage tanks between Marske and Redcar on the coast road. This allows the water board to store sewerage and release into the sea on the outgoing tide. This is their answer to cleaning up the local beaches.

We don't have a separate grey water system although I've seen the drains from the front of our neighbours roof goes into the storm water drain in the road.

Guisborough is an inland town and they have a sewerage 'farm' on the river that bypasses the town. Northumbrian water supply water to Guisborough. Middlesbrough and Stockton on Tees also are supplied water services from Northumbrian water and they have sewerage works along the river Tees, so I imagine is one tariff for all.

-

My good mate is a plumber and my wife does his admin so I will be asking him when /if it gets installed

Only bypass it for the ro though as it will look dodgy if i never use any water

However i am looking into refusing the meter altogether

Legally you don't have to have it no matter what they say (see defra link i posted)

But they can charge you extra as an inaccessible property so they try to make you conform with the threat of an extra 150 quid on your annual bill for example

Oh well I'll pay an extra 150 notes to make a few hundred litres of pure daily for a year

I see Southern Waters water rates per cm are similar to ours @doug atkinson

Our charges

Off topic. I've been scratching around on the Severn Trent website and found this;

I've got no water or low pressure

There is a video on how to check your water pressure at home (the terminology isn't 100% imo but we understand the point they are trying to make).

The point I found interesting was that their cut-off point for a problem of low water flow is if it takes more than 7 seconds to fill a 1 litre water container. That's a flow of 8.5 liters per minute.

I'm not sure if this is an industry standard or not. However we often get windies on here complaining they have a low water flow at their taps. But this is the first time I've seen a cut and dried explanation of the point where the water board needs to be contacted to further investigate as they MAY have a supply problem.

-

Back