A little help with these windows please

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by messy, Jan 2, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. messy

messy Newcomer

Hi guys, need a little help please I am going to qoute a home owner for a 3 story townhouse window clean, only problem it has a small fence halfway up the window. Any ideas how I can clean the window without opening the doors from the inside ?
    I use water fed pole
    I have attached an image

Thank you

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I can't really see from the pic but if it's just vertical bars then a gardiner thin type stock wfp brush should fit between the gaps in the bars. Obviously the brush needs to be turned to get it in/out either using a swivel neck or by putting the pole at an angle

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I have a few of these type of windows. I turn the brush sideways on and feed it through the bars, then turn the brush the right way round to clean the glass. It is time consuming.

4. messy

messy Newcomer

Thank you for your reply.its obvious now . you can properly tell I'm
    Just starting out.
    I will Have to factor in extra time and work out a price

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

No probs as members on here all had to learn the art of stick waggling including myself :thumbsup:

6. abs

abs Guru

Take extra care cleaning the glass above the steel work as over time your pole can rub on the paint and leave a obvious mark

7. Jonathan Sanderson

Jonathan Sanderson Active Member

If your using gardiner quick lok you can actually spin your brush so that it clicks into a vertical position. That may be the easiest way for you.

8. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#8 spruce, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Tuffers is on the 'money' with his comment.

Being new it will take you ages to clean the glass between the gaps.

We once had a block of 27 flats with these windows on each 1st and 2nd floor flat. It took me longer to clean the french doors than it did for my son to do the other flat windows and the communal internal and external stairwells windows.

So IMO it will take you longer to do the french doors than it will the rest of the fronts, ie the top attic window, the staircase windows and the front door. I would work on it taking you 20 minutes to price it up for doing fronts only. It will take you months to get into the swing of cleaning behind those bars, and if you get the job at a good price it will be a good little earner when you master it.

You may even be able to get the brush between the gap at the bottom of the doors. If you can, that will get the job done quicker but you will have to stand slightly to the side to stop you from getting wet. A Gardiner brush with a 90 degree brush holder probably won't work, but the same brush with an angled brush holder may just make it.

OBTW they are called Juliet balconies to be posh. You will sound more professional if you refer to it at that when quoting the customer face to face.

9. messy

messy Newcomer

cheers spruce,getting a little worried lol, owner has just moved to this house recently.

At the minute and don't laugh lol, i'm using a diy water fed pole set up. i'm managing ok i can reach about 22ft.
    i am going round today it try the length of the pole to the attic window( a quick try) while i quote her.

my pole works fine on the large georgian properties up to 2 story, just hoping these new townhouse builds are slightly smaller than average size 3 stories.

but if it does not reach i wont worry about it, but if i start getting requests for larger 3 storey properties (quite a few in my area) i might need to invest in a longer pole
    (could be a gap in the market for hard to reach high windows) not many water fed pole operators in my area.

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

We have a couple of new builds with the top attic window. I can just reach with my SLX22 pole. An SLX25 would be fine.

Advertisement