A lot of questions from a beginner!

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by jamiesmack, Apr 3, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jamiesmack

jamiesmack Active Member

Hi all,

great forum you have here. I have been reading through most threads with real interest, Ive learnt so much already!!

I have recently been put on short time by my current employer, and am looking for a bit of a change in direction. I worked for about 6 months as a window cleaner approx 10 years ago (jesus, doesnt 10 years go fast) and would like to give it a go as a job full time myself. If things go well I would like to eventually add pressure washing etc, but lets not run before we can walk lol.

I am going to go down the wfp route mainly, and will need to set myself up with the necessary equipment. Problem is there is so much to get my head around, I keep forgetting things!

Is there anywhere you can point me to thats lists everything I need for a wfp set up? I am going to be buying a van myself shortly, and any advice on that would be appreciated. I am thinking something like a Transit connect would be about right as I start up.

Anything else you can think of, such as best places to buy gear, what to get new / second hand would be great. I know its a lot to ask, and you're all busy people, but anything you can help with would be great.

Cheers in advance lads.

Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I can't help with wfp but any trad advice you need just shout
    And welcome to the madhouse fella

3. Posh

Posh Hero

As above.
    Any trad just shout.

Plenty of good wfp chaps here

4. jamiesmack

jamiesmack Active Member

Thanks both. I will be getting some basic trad gear together as well. have to see if I can remember the old magic lol :laugh:

As far as trad gear goes, would a basic unger do the job?

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Unger egotec channel, handle and applicators would do for basic gear
    Or a new liquidator and handle

6. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Welcome jamiesmack :thumbsup:. First of all, do you know your tap water TDS? If not, buy a TDS meter. The higher the reading the higher the chance you will need an RO set up. Anything under 100PPM and you should be fine with a DI only set up.

Then go from there.

Buy some trad gear as it always comes in handy, also some ladders. There are some WFP'ers that don't use ladders at all, you will need them for access at least sometimes.

Keep firing the questions as there are some knowledgable people here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. jamiesmack

jamiesmack Active Member

Thanks. So with the tds meter, do they need to be a certain quality? There's bloody loads of them on eBay. For aquariums etc.

8. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Buy from a reputable dealer, the 2nd one down in this link will be the kind of one you need http://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm

9. jamiesmack

jamiesmack Active Member

Ordered. Thanks :thumbsup:

10. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Hi & welcome :thumbsup:

Advertisement