A new man

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Jimroot, Dec 23, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

hi guys.

I'm jim. I have been reading through the forum with interest the last month before saying hello, trying to learn as much as possible.

My story is, I'm being made redundant from a healthcare service based job and I have looked at my options and decided I'd rather invest my modest money into a gutter/window start up. Keeping fit outdoors sounds good to me.

My conclusion from reading the forum extensively is that water fed pole is a great option, though fiddly and costly to start, the rewards are worth it... Also traditional seems to be more an art to be learned over time?

What I haven't been able to work out is how people are powering their gutter vacs and water fed pole systems in operation? Do you have a mobile generator or are customers ok with plugging into their supply? I do have lots of other questions, such as are ladders absolutely essential if using a wfp and gutter vac, or will some jobs still require them? Costs of a start up spiral when adding a van, ladders etc...

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Hi & welcome Jimroot :thumbsup:

I use mostly customer’s power to run a guttervac or hire one in if need be for very large jobs.
    Wfp systems are powered by a 12 volt leisure battery so don't need to run off customer’s power.
    I find ladders are still essential to have on the van no matter what services & methods I use.

3. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Hey smurf...

Thanks for your reply. I have read your ladder posts on recommended ladders. If I hadn't read them, I would possibly have bought some useless ladders already! I was hoping there would be a recommended telescopic ladder for gutter work, as currently I have a car and I'd rather avoid getting a van for now as I wouldn't have enough cash without taking a loan for a van. My car is a three door hatchback

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Welcome Jimroot. You can get a trolley for WFP that would probably fit in your boot. Regarding the gutter vac, don't buy one unless you have a van. You will knacker your car up and would struggle to get it all in a 3 door hatch. Buy a ladder and these http://progutter.co.uk along with a Harris pole from B&Q.

5. andy w

andy w Well-Known Member

6. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Hey Tuffers

Thanks for the advice... I am looking into a cheap van as I think it would be much easier to do that way if I'm to have a serious go at the business. The car isn't worth much unfortunately so can't just swap.

Proper ladders I would struggle too much to get on the car I think as it isn't designed for roof bars and it's too small, so again, van either way, Vac or pole/ladder. Vac seems the quicker safer option.

Will keep reading the forum and looking on the net and put some questions in the other areas of the forum.

7. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Hey Andy, thank you!:)

8. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy.

It’s good your keeping cost in mind at the start, as cash flow is the life blood of any business. If the start up money wont stretch to both types of work, it might be prudent to choose one, either gutter work or window cleaning to begin with. Make a list of what you need and do a basic plan with a time line.

I would recommend just window cleaning to begin with, as it is repeat business and could be started for a few hundred pounds with trad method, keeping cost very low while you build a customer base. Then you can change over to wfp.

Maybe someone on here can go into more detail about the gutter work to help you decide which would be better suited for you.

You will always have more questions than answer, especially when starting a business; you’re just going to have to make some decisions before you can fully understand some answer anyway.

Good luck.

9. mark

mark Forum Addict

ive always been in the cleaning business.just over 2 years ago I lost a massive cleaning contract 2 mitie cleaning,which id been doing for 13 years.it was game over.what did I do?i had being doing trad b4 this,never gave up the bit of window cleaning I had.like you i thought about wfp.its all about hard work.if you want it youll get it.

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

if was you id invest what money you have into marketing your new biz + buy ladders to go on your car . equipment wise if you go the trad route you would have some change from £200 if you buy all new / well under £100 if you buy secondhand

Advertisement