Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Windy License

Doo

applied for my windy license on thursday filled out the online form from the council website for three year license £217 paid fee online, got an e-mail back saying my application was recieved & that I will hear from them on or before 22 november once the police had ruled on my past.

Fast forward to friday morning moblie rings in work , "hi this is the council we recieved your application there is a problem " oh I say have i missed a question on the form ? "no, the payment is wrong you owe us another £11 due to the license fee increasing to £228 :rolleyes: " by the way this fee is an admin fee & is non returnable so if the police so no license then my dosh is gone :angry: .

Thing is I work for a company that does double glazing repairs & i'm in around 40 different households a week & guess what no license, police check required ....mind boggling I think the council has missed a trick here /emoticons/tongue.png

Oh and another thing before applying for said license you must buy public liabillity insurance cheapest I got was £65.05 through simply business, so that will be more cash down the drain if my application is refused. :angry:

I'm fully expecting my license to be approved as my only brushes with the law have been a p*ss in the street 26 years ago £25 fine & driving without a seat belt 5 years ago £30 fine.

Just a cash making exersise from the council as I can drive 6 miles away & need no license different council /emoticons/ph34r.png

personally i think you should have had liability insurance before you started, for you as much as your customers., however if it was declined you got get a partial refund by canceling it.

Secondly - i dont think that a licence is a bad idea at all, it means you wont get dodgey people making us look bad.

thirdly - the price is expensive!!!!! ouch. and the cheek to you call you and ask for another £11!!!1 tell em to do one and that you paid the price they stated!

that like going and buying a new car for £12k and then when you take it back for the first service they say, by the way we now sell your car at 1k more so you need to pay us another 1k lol

personally i think you should have had liability insurance before you started, for you as much as your customers., however if it was declined you got get a partial refund by canceling it.

Secondly - i dont think that a licence is a bad idea at all, it means you wont get dodgey people making us look bad.

thirdly - the price is expensive!!!!! ouch. and the cheek to you call you and ask for another £11!!!1 tell em to do one and that you paid the price they stated!

that like going and buying a new car for £12k and then when you take it back for the first service they say, by the way we now sell your car at 1k more so you need to pay us another 1k lol
Should have mentioned i cannot work till I have the license so paying for 4-5 weeks insurance for nothing /emoticons/sad.png

But i'm not the first & won't be the last.

Why do other house entering trades not have to undergo police checks ...Joiners,carpet fitters,brickies,sparks ....ect ?

It isnt fair that other industries dont have the same checks done, but it is a good thing. Also you could have held of with the insurance a few weeks, they dont need that until the police check is back.

When i first started the woman i spoke to told me to hold off and they will let you know when and if everything checks out, then just sort out some insurance and they will grant the licence.

In greenock where i am based its £130 for 3 years. But in has been going up and up every year. I remember when it was under £90 for the three years. I have heard that there is some areas of glasgow that are over £300 for one year.

Some sort of fair pricing system spanning across scotland definately is needed. They seem to just charge what they want because they know you can do without it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

that silly about different prices in different areas?? i would be all for the lisence thing if it came to n.ireland. tho i doubt it would stop all the rogues..

100 quid for 3 years for fife. 150 a year for kinross. It just 10 mins from where I live. I need to buy 2 licences.

Its a pain in the **** to be honest. I could go pay this for an employye. Then he could turn round and decide the jobs not for him. As fas as im aware there not trsnferable either which ****. This really puts me off getting an employe

100 quid for 3 years for fife. 150 a year for kinross. It just 10 mins from where I live. I need to buy 2 licences.

Its a pain in the **** to be honest. I could go pay

this for an employye. Then he could turn round

and decide the jobs not for him. As fas as im

aware there not trsnferable either which ****.

This really puts me off getting an employe
My cousin has had this problem in the past now only has subcontractors who pay their own license

I have two employees and i pay for their licence. Taking someone and them chucking it would not be good. For me our uniforms and equipment would cost allot more than thier licence. So you would get stung with quite a few things. Its up 2 u to make sure you employ someone with the right attitude.

So far touch wood it been ok for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I heard I guy local to me let his expire and never bothered applying for a renewal, and the police pulled him. He was taken to court and given a fine. I heard that from another window cleaner so I dont know how much truth is in it.

I keep mine in the the van, its just a piece of laminated card we get. My first year I used to have it clipped to my pouch, but within 2/3 months it was falling apart and was supposed to last three years. So ever since then they just get clipped to the sun visor. If they want to come out with a hard plastic id card that won't fall apart, then i'll keep than on my person.

I know one of the first questions you get asked if you have been burgaled is " Who is your window cleaner?". I've been going so long, and know most of the local coppers, if it is us they just ring me up and ask when we were last there, and did we notice anything unusual.

Got a letter from council today with reciept of money paid for license and saying it takes 28days to get or not get license and that I have not to clean windows in this period, yet I have paid for public liability insurance in accordance with council requirements on the application, so I'm paying for insurance I cannot use mindboggling

It will come pal. By the sounds of things you haven't got anything to worry about, just get out there and start flyering areas in the meantime just tell any new customers, it will be a couple of weeks before you'll be able to get round.

Back