A thought

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by seye, Mar 14, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. seye

seye Forum Addict

Scenario so you know you will be converting all or some of your work to wfp in a few months untill then you will be trad, is there something you can use on the windows other than soap to prepare for that or could something be developed to prepare the glass trad style so when you change over its not going to take so much work to get glass right. Often wondered about this, brought it back to my mind with more work I've recently converted to wfp. Surely time to get glass right ideally is before the change over.

Advertisement
  2. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Its the frames an seals I would worry about as those are what will cause the problem with drips for the first clean or two. The glass is not a problem imo.

3. Andy

Andy Forum Addict

give the frames and edge of glass- rubbers agood scrubb first time and a realy good rinse.

4. Pickingpaul

Pickingpaul Forum Addict

As said above, not alot to do trad wise to prepare for wfp. U can clean the frames a bit more than usual but nothing will do the frames as well as wfp assuming they are not totally neglected.

Wash all the frames on one window unit then go to the next window and do the same to them all then go back to the first and do the frames a second time with a rinse, then do the glass paying special attention to the edges as the soap will have residue there, then when its time for u to rinse the glass finally just give the top frames an additional rinse before the glass is rinsed.

As we all know, the frames tend to be dirtyest at the top so just do that area more and of course thats where the drips will come from

5. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#5 spruce, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Clean the frames up well on the last round with trad as others before me have said. Time spent doing this now will help with your change over.

I wouldn't worry about soap/dishing washing liquid etc at this moment in time. You will probably have to do each window twice to begin with anyway.

Practice cleaning your own windows with wfp, even if you do them ten times a day. Neighbours will think you have lost it, but it will help you master the wfp cleaning technique.

Once you start, clean everything and when the frames have finish dripping water then go back and clean glass only and any transome bars in between. We did this with the round we bought from a tradder. We actually moved on and did a first clean with the next couple of houses and then went back and started with the first house again doing glass only. (In our case with this round the frames hadn't been cleaned for years and were filthy.) Yes is took time and the first clean was painful as we were also learning wfp, but the effort for us paid off as the second clean was very much easier and the third was a 'breeze.' We did have the odd difficult window where the plastic frames were oxidising and the water run milky but it was only on a couple. We found the old aluminium frames the worst, but there are still 2 houses on the round we have now that still have them and they are fine.

We always treat windows with two top openers over a large lower panel with respect. If they are downstairs then I usually wipe above the window with a damp cloth and then clean the top two windows only and let them stop dripping down onto the window below. (We have one house where I go round and do all the top openers on all the windows ground and first floor, pack up and go off to do other work in the area. I come back when those windows are dry and then do the glass underneath.)

Don't treat the change over as a major event, just as a 'natural' change over, forget the fanfare. Try not to draw customers attention to the change of cleaning methods. If they want to know about the water most still have no idea what deionised water is, but if you tell them its the same as distilled water, most understand that as they learnt that at school. Most customers won't care how you clean their windows as long as they are clean. 10 years ago we had to explain the process to nearly every customer as they were very suspicious. We even said we would collect payment on Friday once they were happy that the windows had dried clean and spot free. But it is an accepted method of cleaning now.

Expect to lose some of your old customers as they will want the windows cleaned the old way. We had a very happy customer for 4 years. They were never at home and were always happy when we collected money on our Friday evening collection. One day she was in when we cleaned and was appalled we left the windows wet - not happy. We got dumped by the next clean as she had found a tradder to do them properly. If they prefer someone to walk across their roof tiles to reach the windows above their integral garage at the risk of breaking a tile then that's their choice. We don't take it personally and just move on and keep smiling. If I see customer like them on the street I will still talk to them and be friendly etc. Many years ago an old boss' favourite expression was 'to not let the ******** grind you down.'

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. seye

seye Forum Addict

Thanks spruce mate for taking the time to write that appreciate that. I've not hit a problem in the last couple of years just recently I changed more work and to be honest 90 percent is fine but 4 or 5 houses are spotting terribly as If there's a chemical residue on the glass its just got me paranoid.

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#7 spruce, Mar 14, 2015
    Seye,

Some windows won't work with wfp. If you wipe a dry finger on the frame you will probably see a chalky residue on your finger. The problem will most likely be on south facing windows. Unfortunately that might not improve with time. You have to decide if you get the ladder off and do them trad or inform the customer you can no longer do the job.

We do another customer, an arty type, that has a leaded design pattern on her windows. They spot like made and have done so for the past 10 years. We know she cleans her own windows - my son caught her one day with something like Windowlene, so we can only think its that. Normally, leaded windows aren't an issue. So with her we just let the windows dry at bit whilst we do next door and the house across the road and then dry all the lower windows off with a towel. Yes, extra work but her mother was a friend of ours and out of respect for her memory we do this. The owner is also a lovely, sweet natured lady who is a widow herself and is a bit of a 'nut case.' She will do anything she can for anyone, but she is sometimes her own worst enemy, but then it takes all types. Its the 'odd' ones like her that make the round interesting.

The neighbour's windows I do the tops of and then come back to later in the day have been done by several window cleaners who have just walked away from them. I wouldn't normally bother with them either, but she is a neighbour and its more a neighbourly thing.

But this example did teach me something about the owner. She realises that she can't have everything. If she wants an uninterrupted view of the sea then she also accepts that she will have a streak down the center of the large glass window pane. It happens after the windows get wet when it rains. So my standards are higher than her expectations.

Expect to loose some customers, but you will also get more to replace them. Some may even ask you back in a year or two. We've been doing this long enough to see the cycle.

8. seye

seye Forum Addict

Thanks mate that's what's it sounds like, been feeling pretty down about it recently but you picked me up with your experience thanks truly appreciate it.

9. TolishAPurd

This is the key to it me thinks^. If I ever make the swap, I won't be making a song and dance about it. Theres simply no need. Let the ones drop off that want to go, and then move forwards.

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#10 spruce, Mar 14, 2015
    Jep! I remember that we were the second in the area to convert to wfp. Most on this estate had never heard of cleaning windows this way so we were the talking point of the neighbourhood.

After we got the first day over and done with (the first day was hard and full of promises of not having to pay until the job was to their expectations), news spread pretty quickly that this new way of cleaning was better than the old way, the frames were cleaned as well. The windows looked great and from then on it was much easier as the neighbourhood gossip was positive. I was grateful for that as I was very depressed with everything after that first day. I wasn't motivated at all to go out on the second day to start that all over again. But the difference in attitude was remarkable. I had a few walk down the street and pay me for the cleans I had done the day before.

We were new in that area so we weren't known, but as foreigners (South Africans) we were probably able to get off a little easier with introducing new technology because of where we came from - a foreigner bringing something foreign along.

Now you don't need to explain yourself. It has been a few years since we had to explain the method of cleaning we use. Most of our new work is by recommendation, so we just price up, agree a cleaning schedule, reel out the hose and crack on. We never discuss how we are going to clean their windows.

I will tell a customer about the issues with top openers over a full window pane below we have and that we could end up just cleaning the top openers first and then come back and do the rest - its never been an issue - or at least it hasn't been pointed out to us as an issue.

Advertisement