Adding washing soda into your tap water in the hard water areas

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by DannyB, Jul 17, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Hi tradders, especially those of you who live in hard water areas and yet put tap water, rather than the rain water, into your buckets.

Does any of you find it worthwhile to add some washing soda, baking soda, borax or a similar substance into your bucket water to make it easier for washing up liquid to foam in it?

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

My water is extremely hard, comes out in rocks almost!, averages 500ppm, and never needed anything other than fairy liquid, don't know anyone else who does any different round my way...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Well, there has been a lot of chat also about using vinegar for trad cleaning over here in recent days. And I can quite imagine that for those who use vinegar on a regular basis would any alkaline stuffs be meaningless either. But if you use the hard water and, at the same time, don't always use vinegar, then I can still imagine that some soda could save you some money on detergents, as in a softer water you can produce foam with much less washing up liquid.

4. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Yeah I don't need the foam, in 8 years all I've used is big old squirt of fairy, and jobs a gooden...

Depends how picky you are, fairy has always been great for me...

5. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Well, I've always been under a strong influence of Polzn Bladz on YouTube. But it's definitely useful to hear also views of other experienced people.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I agree with Bob on soap etc but he likes the bubbles as the customer can see the soap then..I have hard water and don't get a lot of bubbles with vinegar also but it's the detergent that cleans not the bubbles

7. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

I believe you've recently mentioned that vinegar is good on greasy surfaces. But from the outside, windows may be soiled more often with plastering, dust or pollen. This makes me hesitate a bit about the usefulness or necessity of vinegar in your solution when you're doing your routine outdoor work. Especially when the window frame or glass aren't heavily soiled. But to address specifically the issue hard water, vinegar may certainly be as good measure as alkaline stuffs would be.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Hard water makes no difference cleaning trad
    You don't leave it on to dry which is when hard water leaves marks
    Water is the main cleaning agent as it is a solvent technically due to dirt dissolving in it
    Soap is used mainly for slip for the squeegee
    Vinegar or flash just gives a boost to the cleaning power
    I have been tradding 26 years and have tried lots of things and trust me it works
    Spider :turd: etc hardly ever needs scraping
    In fact it is rare for me to get my scraper out

9. paulben

paulben Member

Like daveyboy said bubbles don't do a lot unless your name is Michael Jackson. reason I like vinegar is extra shine lifts off muck easier and no smears in hot sun especially in corners just want minimal soap to give it a nbit extra slip . also use waste water from ro for trad about 430 tds

10. Posh

Posh Hero

I use my waste water from ro for trad as well.

Advertisement