advertising methods

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by hibbitt-h20, Nov 13, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. hibbitt-h20

hibbitt-h20 Guest

hi,

what advertising methods do we all use to gain new business?

I have a sign written van, leaflets and business cards and website which work ok but i would really like to have a bit of a boost in income.

does anyone canvas at the door? I have thought of this but I dont really want to come across as pushy.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Alfred

Advertisement
  2. washerman

washerman Guest

Hi there Alfred,
    the only way that i get new buissnes is knocking door to door (exept for reverals ofc) i found the best way is to keep it really short and sweet and i never push not in the slightest>
    My normal pater is just "im a window cleaner in the loacal area, and im looking for new customers" and thats as complicated as it gets never had anyone get irate with me and the worst ive had is a firm NO! but on a good day ive gained 15 and a bad couple of hours ive had 2 ppl answer the door! btu you just have to keep knocking.
    Oh i wouldnt be worried about ppl thinking you r pushy for the most part ppl often coment that its good to see someone getting of their backside to better themselfs.

Hope this was of some help.

Mark

3. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Alfred

I have found the same as Mark with door knocking. Most people are really nice, so long as you keep it shoet and swet and have good manners. Most of my business, although only been going three months, has been gained using this method. Have you had much business via your website?

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Moving to window cleaning area of forum

5. Hi guys you will find everyone has different methods for various reasons there is no hard and fst rule i personally in order of most effective for me first being the best

1) word of mouth/referrals
    2) leaflets direct mail
    3) van sign writing
    4) yell.com medium weight ad
    5) website

To be most effective you really need six different streams of advertising and its worth working out what percentage of each seperate stream bring in what percentage of business can be an effective tool of knowing where to focus your efforts.

I personally have neever canvassed don't like waiting on people answering doors etc. but each to there own

6. nearlyclean

Supplier

You can't just rely on one form of advertising,internet sign writing on motor word of mouth leaflets work clothes and canvassing are all ways to increase awareness of your business and you often hear don't ever see a windie down my road but in reality probably have at least two working their street just not aware of them.also speaking to passerbys and dropping in the comment that your cleaning windows you be surprised what work you'll get from just being friendly safety signs with window cleaner at work :)

7. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I have had a free listing on Yell.com for about 3 weeks now, but not received any calls because of it. I received a phone call from them yesterday, asking if I fancied paying for a premium advertising spot. It would cost 160 quid per year and would ensure that my listing appeared at the top of any window cleaning search in yell.com for my area. Has anyone paid to advertise on yell and found it effective....or just a waste of money?

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

I paid for a touch local and a mate had a yell.com ad for a year,canceled it and compared the year with and without and there wasn't much difference. Best to get a website and domain name co.uk and and advertise on back of motor and every time you reply to a text sign with you web address put on your business cards and recipts etc Google places is worth getting on,but key is to have it optimised so you get the interest in the areas you want work in

9. laddergarder

Door knocking is definitely the way to go, next year we are considering employing temporary staff over the summer purely for canvasing. We have always found that canvasing is the way to go.

Yeah keep it polite, we usually just go with "Hi, we clean a few of your neighbours windows, and wondered if you would be interested?". The only thing with canvassing is that to really get the benefit you need to do it in the evenings after 5.30/6pm.

10. A.K WINDOWS

cant stand knocking on doors and i dont like my door been knocked at tea time it realy p1sses me off lol.

all ive done is put flyers threw letterboxes offering them the option to e.mail txt or phone sometimes its 3 weeks befor they ring but one phone call gets me 4 or more houses in that street as they will come out and say are you the guy who posted the flyers:)

i have sign writen van website and cards.

Advertisement