Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Urgent- white stuff on chimney powerwashing doesn't help

S

sdrah

Hi - as per title I have to clean a chimney tomorrow however not sure how and what to use to clean it .... All around has a WHITE STUFF on bricks which looks similar to salt - very hard and in some places 1/4 of inch think .

I tried a turbo nozzle at about 2800 psi and it doesn't help - nothing at all - the customer said that many years ago it was the chimney of an oil burner ?! now not in use .. I forgot to take a photo ....

Tomorrow I have to finish to clean his roof and it will brilliant if I can leave the chimney clean too . may be somehow to use a sander ?! : ) or a chisel however there are few damaged bricks and I assume somebody already tried ...

any ideas ?!

im told this that this stuff works , its available from stonecareuk.co.uk , its called a colour enhancing impreginator , its pricey 1 litre is 20 quid , i also read that a penetrating sealer should be applied to stop it coming back but that stuff that stonecare supplies claims to contain a sealer . maybe someone else will know more about it

Just re read it - no
Rob
probably is efflorescence it looks very similar to the photo below but worse

IMG_0119.JPG.w300h225.jpg

I would say that it is calcified efforvescence. Basically a large build up that has developed through damp conditions.

It is extremely difficult to get off, my machines will take a lot of it off but no guarantee of removal.

High strength brick acid, not the stuff from B & Q

Rob

Back