Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

VariStream VSD6 pump turning off and on repeatedly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I

IDGE1987

Hello to all,

I'm having issues with my VariStream Digital VSD6 controller and Shurflo pump (8000-946-138)

When I stop using the pole and shut off the valve, the pump stops when pressure is reached (flashing P) Great. But it then turns on again for a few seconds, flashes P then turns off, repeating this process over and over again even though I am not using the pole.

There are no leaks, I've calibrated, but no fix and the pole line is swelling up etc. I gave a neighbour a cold surprise when I went to resume cleaning Mrs Adams windows after a 10minute chat 

Just wondering if anyone can help? Maybe the pressure switch is bust?

Hello to all,

I'm having issues with my VariStream Digital VSD6 controller and Shurflo pump (8000-946-138)

When I stop using the pole and shut off the valve, the pump stops when pressure is reached (flashing P) Great. But it then turns on again for a few seconds, flashes P then turns off, repeating this process over and over again even though I am not using the pole.

There are no leaks, I've calibrated, but no fix and the pole line is swelling up etc. I gave a neighbour a cold surprise when I went to resume cleaning Mrs Adams windows after a 10minute chat 

Just wondering if anyone can help? Maybe the pressure switch is bust?

If the pole hose is swelling then either the calibration is set too high or the pole hose needs replacing.

If you still have the Shurflo pressure switch cables plugged into the pressure switch then you need to remove them. Varistream prefer you to not include the pressure switch in the loop.

Digital electronic flow controllers (Spring derivatives and Varistream) do not have actual mechanical pressure switches. They are electronic switches operating on current draw or amps which translates into pressure at the pump.

The principle they operate on is that the higher the water pressure you require, the harder your pump has to work to provide that extra pressure and uses more current to do this. With setting the calibration you are telling the controller to stop pumping when the pump starts to draw "X" amps. (If you walk up a hill you require less energy to do this than if you ran up the same hill.)

You haven't told us what calibration setting your Varistream is set on at this moment. What we do is start the varistream with the pole fully extended and at the flow we are happy to use. Calibration settings are not the same for everyone. I use minibore hose on my reel. If I used microbore I would need a higher calibration setting as the hose bore is smaller.

Personally I love to use 5 because it gives me a nice rise rate. As I use more water on 5 I tend to mainly work on 4. So I would lay my pole on the ground and plug it in and switch the tap on. I would then switch the Varistream on to flow 6. With the pump running I would go into the calibration settings screen and increase or decrease the setting value until I have found the exact point the pump starts to pulse on and off. Then I would go up one more setting and switch off the controller to save that calibration setting. I might have to tweek it after that.

If I start the flow to the brush head again then I should be able to work at 40' height with a flow of 5 without the pump pulsing on and off.

In summer the calabration setting can be a point lower than in winter. Water is denser in winter so needs more pressure behind it to flow at the same rate. (You have a wide range of calibration settings - 0 to 9 and then A to F. The factory setting is C. Our Varistreams are nearly 9 years old and we use setting 8 at the moment - it used to be higher.)

As your (our) controllers do not have a mechanical pressure switch they need to keep sending a pulse of current to the pump to see if the pump can be started. It does this every 4 seconds or so. If the pressure in the hose has dropped between pulses it will restart the pump. Swelling hose will cause this. When you open the tap you will get this burst of flow out of the jets because you have a lot of extra storage in the swollen hoses which needs to dissipate.

You may not have any leaks but you could also have a small 'leak' back through the pump to the tank. The non return valve inside the pump is just a small plate on a tiny spring. This is no problem.

We have 2 hose reels on the van. Mine has minibore which is more flexible than the hose on the other reel. My hose is easier to manage in the winter where the other hose is as stiff as a coil of thick wire. My more flexible hose does swell fractionally with pressure where the other doesn't. As the saying goes - I can't have my cake and eat it too. I prefer to use the more flexible hose.

If you are using warm/hot water, then this is a whole new 'ball game'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring Controllers have some useful info on their website, much of which is also applicable to Varistream controllers @IDGE1987.

http://springltd.co/support

"When in Dead End (flow has been stopped) the controller displays DE. (Varistream P)

When in DE the controller is designed to re-test every three seconds to check for a restored water flow. (Varistream = 4 seconds on ours.)

As the controller re-tests the pump will pulse or appear to turn for a short period, this is because the control needs some pressure in the system to test against. It is normal to hear the pump pulse in DE and some pumps may sound noisier than others.

Differences can be down to the type of pump - efficiency of the pump motor - age and the flow and calibration setting being used.

The control is designed to operate with a pump pressure switch. This engineering approach ensures that the pressure will not build up to high levels, as the pressure switch will cut in and completely shut down the pump.

Should the pressure build to a high enough value the pump pressure switch will activate and the controller will show PS (Pressure Switch). (Varistream recommend you disconect the pressure switch from the circuit where Spring recommend you leave it in.) Hence to restart the pump the original restriction will need to be removed. Should you need to leave the controller in DE for very long periods we would suggest switching off the controller."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @spruce Followed all your instructions - problem solved ? Using the 8mm hose with cold water... the change in temperature over the past few weeks would explain why it started to play up as well then. I'm glad the re-test is a normal thing, I'll replace the pole hose as it's quite old now and stop worrying about the pump!

Thanks again

Thanks @spruce Followed all your instructions - problem solved ? Using the 8mm hose with cold water... the change in temperature over the past few weeks would explain why it started to play up as well then. I'm glad the re-test is a normal thing, I'll replace the pole hose as it's quite old now and stop worrying about the pump!

Thanks again

Those pumps last forever. I have a 3.8lpm on the van that is over 11 years old - pre Varistream analogue days. The other is a 5.2lpm pump and thats 10 years old.

There is another cleaner whose pump is more than 12 years old.

What I suggest you also do is fit an isolator switch on the positive cable from the battery to the controller and switch it off after the last house. The controller uses current even when off to give you a battery charge reading. We found that that particular model would drain a fully charged 85 amph leisure battery to 75% charged in a week.

This is what we used on Son in Law's van.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-2-way-20ax-switch/73955

Back