Advice on paving slabs

Discussion in 'Pressure Washing' started by Bernard, Apr 21, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Bernard

Bernard Member

Again, I've only very little experience and doing another job for a friend. I've never cleaned these types of slabs before, they look like they have a textured surface.

I have a few questions.

1. If necessary is hypo safe for use on these slabs?
    2. Are any detergents/cleaners recommended?
    3. Would the turbo nozzle be safe or would I be better using one of the more angled tips?

They asked if I would repair the joints. I haven't made my mind up about that yet. Large areas of the joints look fine. If I were to do it, would I have to remove it all? Or would patching it up be possible/sufficient?

Steps.jpg Patio.jpg

Advertisement
  2. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

As these are so dirty, I would be using a washer rather than hypochlorite. I always use the most gentle nozzle possible. So, try a 15 degree, if it doesn't work, use a turbo. A FSC would work on the main bit.

3. Williams Jet Wash

Williams Jet Wash Williams jet wash Services

i personally don't bother re pointing- hypo would be safe here- but i think that would shift with just turbo alone if you have no flat surface cleaner

4. sllab

sllab Active Member

As far as cleaning goes I would just turbo nozzle it and supplement with hypo if required.

There is a lot more to re-pointing than most people think. I personally don't do it because I want to go back to the same customer year after year and re-clean the patios etc. I know someone who is a bricky by trade so I send the customers that need re-pointing to him and I let him know that I will be pressure washing it next year so if it comes out he will need to fix it.

From what I have seen trying to patch up the pointing never really works. You have to remember as soon as there is a crack its game over for the pointing. Water gets in and you have a frost and the pointing will start to fall apart.

5. Bernard

Bernard Member

I just ended up cleaning it. The lichen on the steps and the lower patio was pretty bad, worse than the photo looks.

The pictures are: Before -> Cleaned -> After hypo
    Collage Steps.jpg

Collage Paving.jpg

Collage Patio.jpg

6. CHWS

CHWS Forum Addict

Good job !

Advertisement