Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Separate number

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shiny

Does anyone have a separate phone number for work...!!! I've always used a cheap pay as you go mobile for work, that way at the weekends and holidays such as this week and can turn it off and forget all about work completely....knowing the phone is ent going to ring, for me it works well, it's good to have the option to be able to leave it on or turn it off ...keeping business separate from private life

Hey Shiny,

That's a good idea, I will get one for when I start up in January.

Question; do you have the number on your van?

I have been considering how much info to give out to customers on business cards/flyers/van... How do you tell them the areas you're willing to travel to work in without limiting yourself for new work opportunities?

I wouldn't like to give them my personal number, but don't we have to reveal our address if they ask, like a legal requirement for trading?

i bleve its law you must have your address given on your website. but i notice very few windies do so . whats that all about? im happy to give my address out .

Hey Shiny,That's a good idea, I will get one for when I start up in January.

Question; do you have the number on your van?

I have been considering how much info to give out to customers on business cards/flyers/van... How do you tell them the areas you're willing to travel to work in without limiting yourself for new work opportunities?

I wouldn't like to give them my personal number, but don't we have to reveal our address if they ask, like a legal requirement for trading?
Yea have work number and work email on the van....as far as I am aware you have to put an address on invoice's..? (but I may be wrong) but I have very few commercial customers so don't use many invoices, In 4 n half years of doing this job I've never had a domestic customer ask for my address

As regards working distance...well you know your own area..if you get an enquiry from out of town you know what traveling is involved so it's up to you whether you take it on or not. Personally I would'nt be too put off about traveling as quite often you get one job say in a village and before you know it you've picked up enough work to fill a days work so the travelling (with in reason) is worth it

Nice one Duncs... I'd just be worried about fielding loads of calls if I drive out of the areas I'm willing to travel to. I haven't googled it, but what about magnetic signage or putting out a board by the house being worked on like builders do?

I live in among 10's of thousands of houses, so I can't see villages being worth driving to for me. I estimate, once experienced, tops I could do alone would be 400 houses a year (gutters). If they are annual and fairly close together, that's like 10 roads worth. (hopeful I know :thumbsdown:)

I wouldn't be happy giving my address freely, if they know you have loads of equipment, maybe its too tempting for some people.

about 3yrs ago i took over some customers another windie didnt want to do. one of those customers was in the habit of calling round for tea at the windies , staying for an hour or so . i certainly made sure he didnt get my address , tho he tried hard to get me to play ball i wasnt having it !

I just have the area i live in on my flyers and motor

Business cards are identical but have my address on

I think it is more reassuring for the customers when they know where you live

I use my normal mobile number

Maybe it's because I'm in a city, but a lot of people I come across are hostile and I get into a few arguments. Had a few local 'road rage' incidents in recent years.

I wouldn't like to let them know my address, or hand it to them on a plate, or business card.

Maybe it's because I'm in a city, but a lot of people I come across are hostile and I get into a few arguments. Had a few local 'road rage' incidents in recent years.
I wouldn't like to let them know my address, or hand it to them on a plate, or business card.
Perhaps you could put one of them stickers on the back of your vehicle....the ones you see on the back of large company vehicles....!!

"How is my driving"....let us know call......xxxxxxxxxxx....lol:eek:

What city you in??

I moved out of london a few years ago to stevenage which is a large town but most people round here know me and know it's not worth the aggro to have a pop

Got my van parked outside on the drive, with both phone numbers on. People see I'm local and not some townster on the blag. That matters here. Like everything, it's all subjective.

I'm chilled now, after a decade of martial arts :) but idiots don't know that and still have a verbal pop... Part from at work, no ones had a physical go yet

I'm in birmingham

There's a few of us here jimroot

Tolish does something (can't remember what now)

I spent years boxing and doing krav maga on and off

I don't usually get any grief i can't handle

Where i grew up in the 80s and 90s if you didn't know how to fight you grew up as someones whipping boy

Weren't going to happen to me

I have my fingers in a few pies and had this number for 10 years i reckon

Always got someone phoning about something so didn't bother about another number for the windows

When I reached adulthood, I decided I'd never be pushed around, no matter what.

Good to know there's others on here with the interest davey

Back