Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Berlingos, what do I need to know?

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Hello chaps, putting together another van for my next potential employee. Only having a 350L delivery only system in it.

I hear the Berlingos are supposed to be OK and they seem cheap enough for a good used on but I know nothing of vans so to those that do what am I looking for?

Engine size? which to get, which to avoid? chassis? LWB SWB? What are the variations etc?

Any particular years to avoid?

Cheers.

stand behind the van and look at the angle of the rear wheels . they should be 100% vertical. if they tip inwards at the top means rear arm bushes are shot, costs a packet to fix [usually its the NSR goes first .

I got a berlingo and love it. It's the 1.9 diesel 600 payload. Don't get the turbo model as the bearings in the turbo fail due to oil starvation. I got 280 litre flat tank, back pack full and 75 litres in containers and pulls it all no problems. I've boarded over the tank too so don't lose hardly any space

Green stay clear of the 1.6 hdi the 2.0 hdi is absolutely bombproof

The oil starvation is only on the newer 1.6 hdi because of the new engine design

You not go far wrong with a partner or berlingo 2.0 hdi I messaged one earlier today on eBay 55 plate with only 61,000 just missed out

after 2010 the 1.6 diesel is the only engine option. iv been looking to replace my own partner crew van and will be forced to buy a 1.6 because there is no other option on the newer models

i have a berlingo first 1700 61 plate 750kg payload i have 400 ltr tank so im probably pushing it a bit but the van is 100% had it from new n no problems at all

I had an ex British Gas 2.0 hdi for nearly ten years. Got it when it was two years old at auction with 30k on the clock. In addition to the service items, in the time I had it, the two front springs snapped as did one of the belts. I considered that to be pretty reasonable reliability. You see a lot on van trader with Starship Enterprise mileage so as another poster said the 2.0hdi is pretty bombproof. I'm fancying a new shape Transit Custom, see loads around and plenty of ex fleet stuff at auctions, anyone know if there's any reliability concerns with these?

I have had my L200 warrior (new shape) since it was 2 years old and had to do nothing but service it, MOT it, and replace tyres and other general wear and tear items, I have been considering a van for a year or so now, after research and reading these threads, reckon I will stick to my pick up.

Had her maybe 4 or 5 years now.

i have an older one but its bombproof, galvanised body so they dont rust. the hdi engines are sweet in all variants but the 2.0 is the one. I wouldnt buy anything else but fiat/citroen. not sure they do a lwb base berlingo, if you want a bit bigger go for the dispatch instead. they do however do a 600 or 850 payload version

Ive got a good experience with berlingos, they're **** to drive in my opinion (might be because im a **** driver) other than that its quite reliable as far as Ive used it. definitely worth having one!

Back