Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Refining your round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Matty H

I have got to the stage of refining my round - ie dropping bad payers or perhaps 1 or 2 in a street that's a bit out of my way. Also some early jobs I priced up too cheap so told them its going up - if they don't accept then bye bye. I must admit at the start I would take anything because you have to, but now I'm making it work for me by not driving more than perhaps 15 miles total in one day and bringing in nice money. The thing is do I take it to the next level? Advice please lads?

Sorry no advice here but must be nice to be at that point in your business life, I'm looking forward to getting there.

How long has it taken you to get to that point Matty

Sorry no advice here but must be nice to be at that point in your business life, I'm looking forward to getting there.

How long has it taken you to get to that point Matty
Just 2 years mate - I have around 450 custys and quite a bit of commercial work - fortunately I started at a time when 5 new estates were being built. I have around 80 on one estate alone of about 160 houses - so I clean 50% of them - I do the lot in 3 days lol

Just keep plugging away mate - as a repeat business industry window cleaning must be one of the best /emoticons/smile.png

dump **** and jobs you dont want, then knock like hell in the areas you want to work and have work, jusetter jobs and fill up with better jobs and less traveling, there is no need to get to nexty level it isnt worth the hassle

dump **** and jobs you dont want, then knock like hell in the areas you want to work and have work, jusetter jobs and fill up with better jobs and less traveling, there is no need to get to nexty level it isnt worth the hassle
Yeah increase the amount of jobs in one area - less travelling = more windows cleaned = more money /emoticons/smile.png

next level, can mean a few things

employing, this business seems to attracted muppets who claim they can clean, or you train them up and they still mess up when you are not there,

commercial getting paid etc, i have been impersnatedon jobs, had a van pinched, even had people i subbed jobs to contact the companys trying to get the contracts, i even took one company to court to ccj them as they wouldnt pay me, so glad to be out of that side of the business

Nice, glad you got to that level, I'm still on my way there.

I wanna £100 day 20days of the month then see where I am at, it's all part of a big plan but stages help don't they. lol

I do have to advise you on maybe one thing.

Once you have refined your round, and dropped the customers who don't want a price increase or who aren't paying a good profit after expenses (like your far out customers), then maybe you should pick up more work to fill the time you have spare, then you have extra income. and the grand thing about those jobs is you can maybe charge more as they are surplus to your business requirements...

Nice, glad you got to that level, I'm still on my way there.

I wanna £100 day 20days of the month then see where I am at, it's all part of a big plan but stages help don't they. lol

I do have to advise you on maybe one thing.

Once you have refined your round, and dropped the customers who don't want a price increase or who aren't paying a good profit after expenses (like your far out customers), then maybe you should pick up more work to fill the time you have spare, then you have extra income. and the grand thing about those jobs is you can maybe charge more as they are surplus to your business requirements...
The problem is the time mate - I don't have any spare lol

I don't really think you need any advice mate, you could employ someone, and as previously said, it could be more hassle, or on the other hand, it could be a huge asset. For instance, if you do have someone working for you, you can flex them up to catch up, rather than it all being left to you, and if you ever take ill, there is someone else there making money for you when you can't.

But in the end it really all depends on you, and what you want going forward. Personally I employ two people, plus I am just about to start a carpet cleaning business as well. My advice would be, if you want to employ someone, get yourself to the point when your working six days, plus a Sunday on a really bad week, employee someone part time for a bit, working three days a week, then cut your own hours back to just working during the week. Then you can flex that lad/gal up two days if you have a bad week. Then when things start getting busy again, bump up his/her contract.

I would love to be in your position Matty, but once i get there, that will be it, i wont be wanting to move on any further. Be happy with what you have got, unless you have a raging ambition, or need more money for whatever reason, just slow down and enjoy it. Life is for living.

I'm sort of doing the opposite, where I have houses out on their own I'm going round trying add to them to make them worth while. I use to drive about 10 mile just for a £10 bungalow, then i got a ***ht and went knocking picked up a £30, £20 and 3 £12s so now it's well worth the journey. Still loads to get plus wen I get my pole there will be more I can go for.

I haven't put my prices up in 5 years, tho all new work I am pricing a little higher. I don't think I would lose that many customers if I told them it was going up a quid, but suppose if you did lose any then the increase would hopefully cover them.

I don’t think refining your round ever stops really.

Taking it to the next level? My advice is always remember overheads come with two legs!

Richard

I don't really think you need any advice mate, you could employ someone, and as previously said, it ..... yadda yadda yadda my advice is....
Made me chuckle. /emoticons/smile.png

awsome round in 2 years fella

how do u manage all them on your own ?

u happy with the income from them all ?

I get up at 6 most mornings go the gym - yes I know I'm mental - start around 8am - 6pm and that's 5 days every week and Saturdays pretty much every week until 2 or 3pm. I manage it but must admit I'm knackered.

Nice rewards though - very pleased with the income and the freedom of being my own boss /emoticons/smile.png

I get up at 6 most mornings go the gym - yes I know I'm mental - start around 8am - 6pm and that's 5 days every week and Saturdays pretty much every week until 2 or 3pm. I manage it but must admit I'm knackered.

Nice rewards though - very pleased with the income and the freedom of being my own boss /emoticons/smile.png
How do you manage if the weather isn't good for a day or 2? I don't want to have 5 full days doing windows as we're rarely get 5 dry days!! I'm hoping to take another guy on and maybe squeeze my work into 3 days

How did you go about getting them cusomters ?

what sort of methods you use ?

ya i aint got half the amount u got mate but work a job in the morning and start at 7 so am wrecked most days :[

I don't really think you need any advice mate, you could employ someone, and as previously said, it ..... yadda yadda yadda my advice is....
Made me chuckle. /emoticons/smile.png
I said it doesn't sound like he needs it, as he is doing well. But as he asked for advice, I gave it, its take it or leave it, but none the less I am glad I made you laugh ;-)

I think it is a fair point to say to anyone who is self employed working alone, what will you do if you break your leg, and need to take a few months off?

r u trad or wfp

so let me get this right you have 450 custys, which is about 112 a week on 4 week cycle, and your work at least 50+ hours a week, if this is right

1, you must be making at least 3 k a month, if you are, then employ and and get more work

2, if your not making that much form that many custys, then you need to dump a load of Swear word!,

I said it doesn't sound like he needs it, as he is doing well. But as he asked for advice, I gave it, its take it or leave it, but none the less I am glad I made you laugh ;-)

I think it is a fair point to say to anyone who is self employed working alone, what will you do if you break your leg, and need to take a few months off?
Indeed fair point, It just sounded funny is all.

Latest Posts

Back