All Weathers, Solar Panels And Velux Windows

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by steele, Jul 8, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. steele

steele Well-Known Member

A few questions for all you trad windy cleaners.

Whats the worst weather you'll work in? How do you work safely in the rain and wind on ladders? IF you arrive at a customers house and it's raining hard will you wait till it stops then start or pack in for the day.

Can you clean solar panels with a trad pole and squeegee?

How do you get to the difficult to reach velux windows?

Thanks

C

Advertisement
  2. bvwcs

bvwcs Member

1 light drizzle
    2 you cant in heavy rain and/or high winds
    3 depends on the forecast
    5 yes
    6 ladder and pole, or clean them from the inside

3. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

I read that you are best not to clean solar panels trad, this is due to the soap!

The soap will leave marks still and this will mean the solar panel wont work to its full potential.

4. steele

steele Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers.

C

5. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

Correct.

6. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

When you say the soap will leave marks, can you not just use water or make sure you finish with a thorough detailing?

7. Mart1001

Mart1001 Well-Known Member

I reckon it's just another case of the wfp guys trying to kid the public that they use pure water for reasons other than, they have no choice :Image15: :Image13:

8. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

No mate. Detergents have been proven to have a detrimental effect on how panels perform over the long-term. Detergent leaves a sticky film on glass which attracts dust. My solar panel cleaning website explains it all.

9. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

Uh? That sentence makes no sense...

10. Mart1001

Mart1001 Well-Known Member

Really ? ok, then I'll break it down for you.

Read many window cleaning websites and they'll talk as though the water fed pole was designed around pure water and not the other way around. In their 'why pure water' section that they copy n paste between each other, they'll claim 'the power of pure water', pure water acts like a sponge', 'pure water attracts dirt, lifting it from your glass', 'soap leaves a sticky film' etc etc and even if there was anything in that, it would be absolute minimal and customers couldn't care a damn. I doubt that one day, someone suddenly thought 'wow wouldn't it be good if we could clean windows with pure water', no, in reality, they probably thought 'wouldn't it be good if we could just stick a brush in a bucket of water and clean windows without a ladder'. It's only when the realisation kicks in that they can't dry the glass after, that pure water was introduced as a substitute or as a workaround.

That's the real reason for pure water and has nothing to do with it's so called 'cleaning power' which was fabricated to soften the blow when the customer ask's 'what...just water...no soap or anything?'.That is my point, many talk as though they prefer pure water but in reality, they have no choice with the wfp style of window cleaning. It's quicker, easier and safer but, it ain't better.

And now we see the 'pure water' science being used in other area's and I say you're just giving us another example of the pretense that is 'pure water'. Those solar cells are held beneath a sheet of glass and it's important for that glass to be clean but come on, clean is clean when we're exposing glass to the elements of our mucky outdoor land. You're obviously good at your job as it's your speciality but, of course you can trad these panels....for a start, who says we have to use soap in our buckets ?

Mart.

Advertisement