Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder on wet decking

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The Ali deck stops turn the other way when the decking runs the other way.

Hope this helps some of you.

Did a video but it won't upload.

Believe me @Green Pro Clean Ltd they are doing something. They turn that way coz the decking runs opposite way to the window. The spikes dig into the decking. Until you've tried em you wouldn't know. But that's why I have the foot the ladder as well but have used the deck stops like that on there own. They do work.

Believe me @Green Pro Clean Ltd they are doing something. They turn that way coz the decking runs opposite way to the window. The spikes dig into the decking. Until you've tried em you wouldn't know. But that's why I have the foot the ladder as well but have used the deck stops like that on there own. They do work.
Its pretty much the same principle as the ladder spikes boar uses. The metal bites into the wood better than the rubber feet. I really want both of those tools. Decking can be frightening stuff.

Just about the cheapest ladder footing device you can buy...

breezeblock.jpg

i wont trust my ladder spikes on decking that lays in that direction. having said that i HAVE set my ladders up on decking like that [very rarely] but i make sure my ladders are as near vertical as i dare put them . anywhere near total vertical the risk of slip decreases a lot View attachment 5696

them foot the ladders r ace arnt they posh mine gets used on the odd job like that, i do like them metel things were did u buy them from? they must add a lot of grab as well

I have always used a laddermate which makes the ladder feel nice and secure on wet decking. However, if it seems particularly slippy then I tend to squeegee the windows with a pole or use the backpack.

them foot the ladders r ace arnt they posh mine gets used on the odd job like that, i do like them metel things were did u buy them from? they must add a lot of grab as well
As far as I can remember I got them from the wcw. There great. They dig into grass as well

I have one deck that runs the wrong way like that one, infuriating. I use the same spikes but jam them in the groove which is quite tight and the bits that stick up I use to stop the ladder sliding out. Think I will give them a try like in your picture, I might have an issue that the deck is hardwood so the spikes might not dig in and if they do the customer might not like the marks they will leave.

I sell them pressure washing.....
Yep, did just that the other day. Win win as you get a nice job out of it, and make it safer for your work thereafter. I've got a few custies I'll be offering hedge trimming to as well on the same principle.

If its decking I'm going to be working off I give it a spray and scrub with ubik once the pressure washing is done to remove all slippyness. When it comes round to spring I'll be getting a staining job out of it too. So much scope to get work in this trade without too much investment.

I know tolish so many other jobs to do

I used to do a siekh (don't know how to spell it)..big detached place

Over the years i painted his upper level as the bottom was render the top was some weird tiles

Cut down and removed all his privet hedge (around 20m) he paid for a skip too for dumping it

Jetwashed his drive

Done his gutters and replaced a few roof tiles

All from being his windie

Went to one of my normal regular jobs yesterday morning with only 30 minutes to spare before needing to be at a big fsg job and she asked about fascias

Told her i would do the whole lot this morning including the windows and the neighbour saw me (they are detached but the garages join) saw that hers were green and next door was gleaming and asked me and now i am her regular windie too

She had one who hasn't been since april so his loss

Seems to bebi am doing less windows and more other jobs lately

Not complaining as I like the £££ but my round is starting to get behind a little

Got another fascia job in the morning for a regular that i could have done without

Hi all,

Decking can be very doddgy. I always put ladder up and screw in piece of 4x2 bout 2ft long into decking with the cordless.. proper order..

Hi all,Decking can be very doddgy. I always put ladder up and screw in piece of 4x2 bout 2ft long into decking with the cordless.. proper order..
I can see some customers objecting to that.

Must admit, if it looks dodgy at all nowadays I just pole it or back pack it.....not worth the risk.

I took on a new customer last month who had recently got rid of her window cleaner. He told her he couldn't clean her top windows at the front because they were "too high" and couldn't clean the top windows at the back because "they're above decking and window cleaners don't clean windows above decking". She said he wouldn't even put the ladder on the decking in the summer when it was bone dry. Maybe he'd had a bad experience. It's the nicest, cleanest decking I've ever seen too.

Hi all,Decking can be very doddgy. I always put ladder up and screw in piece of 4x2 bout 2ft long into decking with the cordless.. proper order..
I know of someone does the same, but they fix tv aerials, they dont take chances, so I think its a great idea if trad on slippy decking, its your life, but I would use wfp myself, or use a pole.

Back