Am i a gypo?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Smurf, Jun 11, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I went to get a refill for my gas water heater at the local supplier and asked do you also sell Sodium Hypochlorite 14/15% (hypo) being they where a swimming pool chem supplier. I told him what I wanted it for and the young chap said "yes and is £23 per 20 ltr and all the gypo's buy it here now once they found out we sell it to use it to clean paving"

I must be a gypo then? :D

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I've avoided using hypo upto now but thought I would get some just so to have a play.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

What do you think of using hypo Njones as I know you have used it in the past?

4. Njones

Njones Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Its brilliant stuff Smurf - but you have to be careful with it,.. it will ruin your clothes, brown the leaves on plants & flowers, it'll bleach decking grey if you leave it dwell too long and in sunny/hot weather it can affect gloss paintwork too,...

Always pre-wet surrounding lawns, flowers, garden furniture, wooden doors, etc etc that might be affected by overspray, and always rinse these down again immediately after spraying. Always be aware of how far the overspray can go (Don't use hypo in windy conditions), and always wear eye protection.

That said - its brilliant stuff. Spray it on algae & it just melts away,.. it works on gutters, footpaths, decking, patios, painted walls, coloured render, pebble dash, roof tiles,... all sorts of things!

I usually mix a couple of bottles of washing up liquid in with it as the bubbles help it stick to the surface longer. I wanted to try mixing it with SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate - the main ingredient in most liquid soaps & shampoos) as its a cheap and easily available thickening agent for bleach,.. I reckon you could use a lot less hypo if it was thicker and stayed on the surface longer instead of flowing away like water.

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Cheers for that Nat.:thumbsup:

On another forum someone suggested to add wallpaper paste to the hypo for k-render but I thought he was having a laugh.

6. Njones

Njones Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Paste?????? I would expect that to become a horrible sticky mess!! At least SLS is a bubbly detergent thing, designed for getting stuff clean & rinsing away!

7. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

That sounds expensive to me. Though when I get it, I buy dry Calcium hypochlorite granules from a chemical supplier and make up the solution myself. Is that price normal?

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

9. mr shine

mr shine Guru

if you want to be a real pikey empty a 20 litre drum of hypo in with the water and tell the custy that its the sealer and charge accordingly ,dont worry about damaging the pump as you pikeys have now problem in going out and robbing another one :laugh::laugh:

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

dont let it go thru your pump or itll wreck it . downstream it in

Advertisement