Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

An easy way of removing o clips from a hose tail / barb

WCF

Help Support WCF:

1 hour ago, Skxawng said:

I made a quick video showing the way I use nowadays to remove o clips. It comes up fairly often as a topic so thought it might be helpful. 

I used to use a grinder but find this much easier as I only need the o clip pliers which I already have out to put the new one on anyway. 

Good video just a word to the wise always use a sharp knife going away from yourself not towards you I did that as a teenager and stabbed myself in the thumb still have a big scar and numbness in it to this day .???

Good video just a word to the wise always use a sharp knife going away from yourself not towards you I did that as a teenager and stabbed myself in the thumb still have a big scar and numbness in it to this day .???
I did very similar about 45 years ago. I was cutting a rawlplug in a stone wall to hang a barometer. I was cutting with a Stanley knife in my right hand while steadying myself against the wall with my left hand. Knife cut through the Rawlplug and slipped across into my left small finger. A clean cut, not a bad injury but the scar can still just about be seen even after all this time.

I've used my dremel tool with cutting disc, quickest an easiest way I've found, understand not noone carries one in their van. 

Good that you have done a video to help.

I also winced at the knife coming towards fingers. About 10 years ago I was cutting a trunking lid with a plastic pipe cutter and slid the blade into my thumb. Went in the side of thumb till the nail and bone stopped it! Served nerves, tendons etc, still not right, probably never will be. That's when I grew a beard as I couldn't hold a razor ? Still have scar on thumb and the beard ?

2 hours ago, Skxawng said:

I made a quick video showing the way I use nowadays to remove o clips. It comes up fairly often as a topic so thought it might be helpful. 

I used to use a grinder but find this much easier as I only need the o clip pliers which I already have out to put the new one on anyway. 

I also winced at the knife coming towards fingers. About 10 years ago I was cutting a trunking lid with a plastic pipe cutter and slid the blade into my thumb. Went in the side of thumb till the nail and bone stopped it! Served nerves, tendons etc, still not right, probably never will be. That's when I grew a beard as I couldn't hold a razor ? Still have scar on thumb and the beard ?
Jeez boys! How did we ever survive this long? ?

Perhaps I need to work on my knife skills.. Usually I would cut away from me and cringed a little myself watching it back tbh. Its always pretty awkward getting the tube off regardless of how you've got the clip off. It's hard to not cut too deep and scratch the hose tail. 

3 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

I made a video last year.

Don't use them on univalve's there's no need as the barbs hold them on perfectly

Best way, side cutters and pliers. Grip and twist 

A short version of mine 

Interesting video, does it still work on the smaller ones? 

Perhaps I need to work on my knife skills.. Usually I would cut away from me and cringed a little myself watching it back tbh. Its always pretty awkward getting the tube off regardless of how you've got the clip off. It's hard to not cut too deep and scratch the hose tail. 

Interesting video, does it still work on the smaller ones? 
Yes but being mindful of plastic barbs.

Or hold one wing while with a pair of knipex end pliers easily cut the other wing off 

Or Daves method 

8 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Yes but being mindful of plastic barbs.

Or hold one wing while with a pair of knipex end pliers easily cut the other wing off 

Or Daves method 

That's really interesting. I tried before if I could remove them by doing that but couldn't. He must have really sharp ones, or I must have really blunt ones.. 

I use the Knipex mini bolt cutter 71 12 200 in the photo. It will cut the hard steel clamps with relative ease. It has a design that increases the leverage from the handles to the cutting head. I cut straight through the softer clamps but with the harder ones I take a couple of smaller nips to ease the wear and strain on the cutter. It wasn't cheap. I think from memory it was close to £35~£40. The tool on the left is a scissors from Screwfix that is great for the smaller pole hoses and brush hoses as it has a round cut-out on the blades to hold them steady. The third tool is for cutting garden size hoses. The one on the right is for clamping the O rings. 20220122_112954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t see the video!? It’s just blank. Always up for new tips.

I use a hammer & flat head screwdriver, use the screwdriver like a chisel, hit into the bottom of the tail of the o clip, half a dozen good hits & it breaks the o clip nicely

It's the stainless steel ones that I find are difficult to remove. The zinc plated o clips are easily removed by cutting then with those pincers.

I went to stainless steel o clips as I found the standard ones stretched over time and the hose started to leak. Some are not very good quality either as they rust.

I also notice that Exceed supply stainless steel ones. So when removing them there is more chance of damaging the hose barb.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the stainless steel ones that I find are difficult to remove. The zinc plated o clips are easily removed by cutting then with those pincers.

I went to stainless steel o clips as I found the standard ones stretched over time and the hose started to leak. Some are not very good quality either as they rust.

I also notice that Exceed supply stainless steel ones. So when removing them there is more chance of damaging the hose barb.
The Knipex 71 12 200 cuts them fairly easily.

Back