Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carbon Pole Repairs

Carlton

Hi There. I'm new to this forum so hopefully this is posted in the correct section. Apologies if not.

I'm not a full time window clearer so the wear and tear on my equipment is maybe not what many window cleaner experience.

I've been using a Facelift carbon pole for the last few years, and had no major problems. Over the course of the last year or so I've adjusted the clamps to allow for wear, (mainly the top two sections), but now the clamps will no longer adjust and these sections are beginning to slip back again when under pressure.

I initially thought that the pole sections must now be wearing out and need replacement. But reading up about it, it seems that it maybe the clamps that need replacing. Am I right?

If this is so, how are the old clamps removed? They seem to be well bonded to the carbon section.

Any help would be much appreciated...

I'm aware that facelift have changed their clamps recently so best you contact them directly;)

Alright carlton, what you have to do is get a hacksaw or dremmel, and cut through the clamp body but being carful not to cut the pole, best to stop just before you get too deep then get a large flat bladed screwdriver or something similar then prise open the cut. It will be very brittle and pop open really easy if you have gone deep enough.

Then sand off the old epoxy so its smooth and back to carbon, then mix your epoxy slap it on slide the clamp on and hey presto done....

iv seen a vid on you tube they re lacquerd the pole sections with very light coats. After one light coat the clamps were holding no spin they were giving it 3 coats. Im almost sure it was a gardiners pole and it was carbon. that could be the way to go.

I take it clear laquer is the same as clear coat? Its what you spray once you've painted a car or painted surface innit?

Cheers bud, finally got hold of one of my mates who used to paint helicopter blades, they are the same thing, lacquer is an older style version of clear coat. Just finished doing 1st coat, having a brew then i'll do another coat. The sections look fantastic, like brand new.

Back