Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole, DI filter and backpack advice for a Traditional Windy

PJ Bullard

I'm buying a pole and backpack system next week and I would appreciate some advice from all you WFP windys out there. I'm looking to spend about £500- 600 on the gear and at the moment I'm thinking of a Gardiner SLX 2 pole (23ft), plus their backpack with a filter vessell from Unger.

Basically I'm going to filter the water at home into the backpack and more into barrells, then take it out with me and use it alongside my traditional method. From what I've read on here, I think a lot of Trad windys have a backup like this for those windows that are too high or dangerous for the ladder.

I was mulling over getting the Big Boy Backpack, Unger Alliuminum pole and DI filter bundle but I know I dont want a heavy pole. I also looked at Ionics Grafter carbon fibre pole but I've read crappy reviews for the build quality. Thats why Gardiner are my first choice at the moment both for pole and backpack.

What do you reccommend? Many thanks

Agree with green you need to know your tds reading first. I got 11l di vessel, backpack, 27ft pole hybrid pole and 4 jerrycans for a tad under 450 pole and backpack are by water genie and i would highly recommend them all day long. @Green Pro Clean Ltd has used both gardiner and water genie poles and if im not mistaken says theres no real difference.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd No I don't have a TDS meter

@peter rogers No I don't know my ppm reading but I'm in Surrey/London boarder so I'm guessing its high. From what I've been told the Unger DI vessell is all I need? It has a ppm reader on it, and I've been told when it gets too high you just change the resin?

I'm a bit clueless as you might be able to tell. I've been a traditional windy the whole time and I haven't used a pole system before.

I'm buying a pole and backpack system next week and I would appreciate some advice from all you WFP windys out there. I'm looking to spend about £500- 600 on the gear and at the moment I'm thinking of a Gardiner SLX 2 pole (23ft), plus their backpack with a filter vessell from Unger.
Basically I'm going to filter the water at home into the backpack and more into barrells, then take it out with me and use it alongside my traditional method. From what I've read on here, I think a lot of Trad windys have a backup like this for those windows that are too high or dangerous for the ladder.

I was mulling over getting the Big Boy Backpack, Unger Alliuminum pole and DI filter bundle but I know I dont want a heavy pole. I also looked at Ionics Grafter carbon fibre pole but I've read crappy reviews for the build quality. Thats why Gardiner are my first choice at the moment both for pole and backpack.

What do you reccommend? Many thanks
A good RO is more expensive outlay than just DI. Also the Unger DI vessels (sexy to look at) are pricey by comparison to a regular DI vessel.

If you have high PPM your better off to pay out on a good RO as it will produce more water for lower overall cost in the long run.

Dealers love you ti have high TDS and go DI as you are in every week to buy more resin.

your first step is a TDS meter mate they cost under £5 on egay, then evaluate if it is too high invest in a RO system there are pleanty going cheap on the web all you need to do is change the filters if needbe, get a water butt again very cheap from any retailer, i use a large IBC container that you can buy near new for £50 but what ever you get make sure to build around it and insulate it ready for winter.

as for the backpack i have one but never use it and keep it for spare as i have a trolley system BUT i would be inclined to say where i got it from...:whistle:

pole wise..when i first started out on WFP i got a harris pole from B&Q and adapted it for this use..ahhh the good old days.:eek:ldy:

stick with the gardiner gear and you wont go wrong they do a tds meter as well also a merlin prf/ro purification system and di you might need a water softener if you are in a hard water area i got mine from pure freedom i would go for the gardiner super-lite medium mixed brush to start with as is a good all round brush and lasts very well once you get the hang of it traditional window cleaning will be a thing of the past the only things i trad now is inside work and the odd shop front

Thanks for all of your comments. I think I'll have to get a TDS meter first thing and find out the ppm reading in my area.

@blaze yeah been trying to call gardiner today but they're pretty busy, but I like the look of their poles so I will prob go with them.

@ccservices and @Green Pro Clean Ltd cheers for the tips, I'll let you know how I get on

yeh they are always busy in the morning with orders but if you persist they do answer i found them better to answer phone in the afternoons there poles are the best i would'ent use anything else also there customer service is top notch with next day delivery if you order in the morning i have always found them to be very pleasent and helpful

I have the big boy backpack, Unger hydro power, Gardiner SLX22 pole and I'm using a bag of resin a week without an ro. My TDS is over 300 but I'm in rented accommodation and simply don't have the luxury of being able to build an ro shed. It's all expenses at the end of the day. £100 a month on resin is £100 less I'm putting away for the tax man.

I'm no longer using my ladder for anything really bar roof access so I'll definitely be getting a van setup when I get a new vehicle.

Back