Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning FAQ

Gavin

Staff member
Admin
So below you will find a list of commonly asked questions, we hope to create a comprehensive, informative and sensible list of FAQ's for new members and oldies alike. This will enable users in a short amount of time get answers to these kind of questions.

Please click the questions to see the answers. If you feel a FAQ needs adding please reply to this post and we will add it.

We have several video tutorials here showing how to use pretty much every function of the site /emoticons/wink.png

Read about DI here and RO here. They are two different water filtering systems that can be used together or separate. In the short term DI only might be cheaper BUT if your TDS is more than 100 you will want to be looking at a Ro system.

A TDS Meter indicates the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) of a solution, i.e. the concentration of dissolved solids in it. Since dissolved ionized solids such as salts and minerals increase theconductivity of a solution, a TDS meter measures the conductivity of the solution and estimates the TDS from that.

Dissolved organic solids such as sugar and microscopic solid particles such as colloids, do not significantly affect the conductivity of a solution so a TDS meter does not include them in its reading.

A TDS meter typically displays the TDS in parts per million (ppm). For example, a TDS reading of 1 ppm would indicate there is 1 milligram of dissolved solids in each kilogram of water. As a rule of thumb, for window cleaning you really want to ensure your ppm is below 10 and as close to 0 as possible.

This is often down to personal preference. Some will prefer pencil jets which are just straight jets of water when others will prefer fan jets, as the name describes. Fan jest produce a fan like pattern of water. You may feel you get a better rinse with pencil jets but really it depends on the individual, neither is better or worse. You may want to not that the majority of brush's usually come as standard with pencil jets unless otherwise specified.

Last edited by a moderator:
me just loves the tds one thanks gav....dont tell the others but they keep going on about dog earing and i aint got a clue....well i know what a dogs ear looks like ....so hope you can stick that one in...

cant get more live than that...thanks gav./emoticons/smile.png video too....yes i have never even been on you tube yet....too busy reading the mail online...now for my next question....just where is the end of the universe?:devil:eek:h ,okay its nowt to do with windowcleaning i will let you off....got to go and play with my squeegee blade tomorrow now....

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first started, went on youtube n found wagga watched his videos for hours trying to soak in as much knowledge as poss. what a great down to earth guy making all his videos with good tips n an expert dog ear guru. Ive tried it a while ago n couldnt get it just right, but used it this week n got on better, all practice.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Hey everyone so thought i would see if anyone has any new ideas for more FAQ's to add to the first post here.

The really tricky ones are falling apart old timber sash windows, when after giving it a bit of wash up client wants it to look like brand new  :1f602:

Back