Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

anyone else fed up with just doing windows?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dave B

Staff member
Been doing a lot of softwash and gutters/fascias etc lately after having a couple of months doing just windows and have decided what way i want my business to go now

Stick with the round i have and drop any messers and **** jobs etc

Do more softwash and start pressure washing

Have been slowly getting fed up with chasing small payments when i can do 2 jobs in a day and make the same as 2 days on the glass

Possibly get a bit of a life back also

Anyone else fed up with it and thinking of diversifying?

from the word go i have always done powerwashing and started softwashing las year

its a nice break once in a while ong with gutters and fsg cleaning

either expand or cut the shite out

Sprinkle in a bit of lorry driving now and then. Money's rubbish but makes a nice change and money's not everything. I couldn't clean windows 5 days a week

I would be happy with a cream round 2 days a week and big jobs 2 days a week then 3 days off each weekend

I had such a feeling 3 yrs ago and started roofcleaning . Must say with time spent doing qoutes that you dont get and all the gear and hassle , i went back to just Windows . Love it and wouldt have it Any other Way . But i get your point ! When working , moneys good .. Go for it ! :thumbsup:/emoticons/biggrin.png

Did a customers windows today and walked away with a driveway job to do

There is plenty of work out there if you can be bothered to find it

Got a big polycarb roof conservatory to do at 7.30am tomorrow and then a fascia job including the upvc cladding that has gone green on the dormers which i will be using hypo on to clean easier

That will see me up till lunchtime but give me a good days pay

I go through stages of not minding window cleaning to hating it.I'm 36 and this year and I've been cleaning windows for 20 years so I can find it very,very monotonous and boring.

I don't do anything else and have no interest in pressure washing,soft wash etc I also don't have the time my average day can start around 6-6.30am and finish around 4-5pm sometimes 6 days a week excluding admin work.

I've decided to reduce my work and start selling off the residential I have and just do commercial I enjoy the commercial side more and it gives me the least grief for the most money so for now if I can get a bit more free time and just do the work I like I'll be happy with the windows.

my opinion,you need to funnel in More window cleaning jobs. a real gutload of new jobs will overflow the job list and then itll allow you to get rid of any jobs that are currently giving you the runaround[and hence makin u feel jaded ]

these days i only clean windows and only on basic type houses ,having ditched guttering jobs[my lads liked these but helluva risk to do ]and anything even a tad awkward on the windows has gone as well .

Agree it can get a bit monotonous, especially if you work by yourself. I mix in pressure washing, conny roofs, sfg as well.

If I'm working alone, I always have a little radio with a built in speaker (no headphones required) so I listen to talk shows, bbc London, Jeremy vine on radio 2 or talksport, whichever is having the most interesting debate. Sometimes I put on my I pod and do language courses. I learnt to speak Turkish this way and am now learning Spanish. Its little things like this that take your mind off the windows

I go through stages of not minding window cleaning to hating it.I'm 36 and this year and I've been cleaning windows for 20 years so I can find it very,very monotonous and boring.I don't do anything else and have no interest in pressure washing,soft wash etc I also don't have the time my average day can start around 6-6.30am and finish around 4-5pm sometimes 6 days a week excluding admin work.

I've decided to reduce my work and start selling off the residential I have and just do commercial I enjoy the commercial side more and it gives me the least grief for the most money so for now if I can get a bit more free time and just do the work I like I'll be happy with the windows.
I'm with u on this mate. I'm mainly commercial. Hate doing houses. I started at 6.30 this morn. Home at 1.30. All commercial. Got some houses tomorrow but also a primary school wedged on the day. Sold off a load of houses years ago. They make me sad

I did pressure washing before windows, love doing something different nearly every day, next week its two days pressure washing, a day window cleaning and some gutters.

Mix it up!

Need to get into this softwashing but don't know where to start really.

yes it can get a bit much from time to time, im now diching the wfp and going trad again as im guna be a full time peeping tom :itwasntme:

domestic windows for me, simple and straight forward, the risk of all the equipment and responsibility that comes with pressure wasing, roof wash and the like dont suit my guts. I know what i can do 110% and stick to it, but all my days are different some days i work outside at customers and dont talk to anybody other days i am packed with indside jobs and talk alot, its a nice mix.

View attachment 8360 I upgraded my pressure washer today for exactly that reason.

Need a back up for when the weathers been like it has for this week so far, extra income in the colder months etc.

Had lots if customers asking me and got first big job booked in for tomorrow.

Also picked up a second hand telescopic pole for large industrial units and small residential gutter clearing - 2nd hand for £100!

View attachment 8361

Waste of time the pole, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I have one thats been used maybe 5 times in total, not used it in maybe two years.

Fair do's......it's got a gutter clearing attachment so just hoping to use it on 2 storey houses that need their gutters clearing out.

Got a couple lined up so if they go well then it will pay for it plus some.

What did you use yours for?

If you take a pen and paper and make a list of all the tools you own and the skills you have you will be amazed at the number of odd jobs you come up with that you can offer to customers and they are all willing to pay as either too lazy or too insecure to try themselves.

We now only do 2 weeks a month of premium window customers. A week or two on other jobs or just a week off if we want.

Here's some suggestions.

Window cleans (dont forget one offs as they fetch a nice premium)

Gutter clear and clean

UPVC cleaning

Conservatory cleaning

Patio & Drive cleaning and sealing

All sorts of pressure washing and softwashing.

Roof cleaning

Misted window replacement

To name but a few.

For those that have the gear why not a quick lawn mow or hedge trimming?

There is cash to be had everywhere you look.

Not my bag but a couple of lads in here also valet cars.

There really is no end to the scope you can offer.

We also do certified extraction canopy cleans for restaurants and hotels etc.

There is always something to be done. If I stuck just to windows I would have offed myself by now.

If you take a pen and paper and make a list of all the tools you own and the skills you have you will be amazed at the number of odd jobs you come up with that you can offer to customers and they are all willing to pay as either too lazy or too insecure to try themselves.
We now only do 2 weeks a month of premium window customers. A week or two on other jobs or just a week off if we want.

Here's some suggestions.

Window cleans (dont forget one offs as they fetch a nice premium)

Gutter clear and clean

UPVC cleaning

Conservatory cleaning

Patio & Drive cleaning and sealing

All sorts of pressure washing and softwashing.

Roof cleaning

Misted window replacement

To name but a few.

For those that have the gear why not a quick lawn mow or hedge trimming?

There is cash to be had everywhere you look.

Not my bag but a couple of lads in here also valet cars.

There really is no end to the scope you can offer.

We also do certified extraction canopy cleans for restaurants and hotels etc.

There is always something to be done. If I stuck just to windows I would have offed myself by now.
Good post Mr. Green, however, replacing misted units require a certain amount of know how.

I've worked in this industry and you cannot just measure then replace.

Things like the spacer bar have to be known (the gap between the glass), does it need to be toughened glass, lining up the leadwork, lining up Georgian bars, is it k glass.

Not saying its rocket science, just saying the average windie couldn't just take this up as an extra without some prior knowledge or training :thumbsup:

I dont fed up with windows, only do it for a year:) before that i was in construction buisness, i really hated it. Monday morning after just a few hours you are completly tired and bored. Heavy, loud, dust, stress, same place all day feels like a day never end, always some dude is on your back complain and tell you ur doing it wrong or slow.

You dont make same money in wc, but its so much better for your soul and psych health;)

I never go back to construction

Back