Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Apprentice or cover

WCF

Help Support WCF:

AllGleam

Hi, Good evening hope you all are well
Was wondering about maybe hiring a young lad or girl apprentice age to help with additional work and bigger jobs what kind of wage would you say is ok and is there anyway you can get cover for when on hols it probably wouldn't be feasible but just asking see what feedback is

Cheers
AllGleam

No idea if it's still available but gov was paying businesses to take on and train apprentices. Think they have to go to college as well, no idea what they would study for windy cleaning though.

I worked for someone when I was at college in my day off. The payment was as follows. I got whatever I cleaned minus an hourly rate that the owner wanted to earn of me. This was 20 years ago. He wanted £2 per hour from me working with him. Anything extra was mine as long as I did a good job.

You could scale it to more modern earnings, the system worked well. It motivated me to work quickly but also do a good job as completes took money off.

Out of all the people I worked for I felt that he was the best person I worked for. I actually loved working for him. I got paid fare and he was happy with the extra earnings as well.

So let's say you ear £25 an hour on your own. You could say you want £30 - £35 an hour and anything extra is his.

Of course this won't work for everyone, but if found it worked well

I would personally see it as unethical to have an Apprentice working for me as a window cleaner unless the intention was to build them up their own round and send them on their way.

This, for the most part, is an unskilled job that is easily taught so I don't see an Apprentice gaining anything from exchanging their time for cheap labour.

I would personally see it as unethical to have an Apprentice working for me as a window cleaner unless the intention was to build them up their own round and send them on their way.

This, for the most part, is an unskilled job that is easily taught so I don't see an Apprentice gaining anything from exchanging their time for cheap labour.
I tend to agree with you , however there is NVQ in window cleaning now up to level 3 and some big firms like mite expect you to have this qualification to work for them , totally crazy but there you go . We got asked by local housing association to clean some blocks of flats and they wanted it , so I turned the job down , I have no intention of doing an NVQ for something I have been doing for nearly 24 years ????

Just had a look for nvq in window cleaning and can't find any! Pity as it would be good to learn what I don't know as there will be masses.

Just had a look for nvq in window cleaning and can't find any! Pity as it would be good to learn what I don't know as there will be masses.
This is from another forum and posted in 2009 so they have been around for some time but I have just done a google search and cannot find it under C&G either ????

Attachments

• 0BE83F9C-7A31-40DC-B712-4C3F07B86CDA.png
    0BE83F9C-7A31-40DC-B712-4C3F07B86CDA.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 8
  • B295F557-DF68-4695-9691-9532D471CB8C.png
    B295F557-DF68-4695-9691-9532D471CB8C.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 8
Maybe funding ceased course as cant imagine many would do the course and if firms wanted windows cleaning they'd have to accept that eventually and suppose as long as they have insurance policy in place most would be ok

Latest Posts

Back