Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Downward Blading And Watermarks

WCF

Help Support WCF:

G

geckofly

I have been practicing with a 5M pole and 14" wagtail , and following this advice

Gather the water away from the top frame in the top left corner of the window with a few short downward strokes.

Starting from the left, angle the blade 45 degrees and blade to the right along the whole length of the top edge.

Complete the first pass along the top edge by pulling the squeegee down the right hand edge.

Working right to left make small arches and curve into the next stroke as you pull down.

Make the downward strokes slightly diagonal.

(The water runs along the rubber blade leaving a dry edge and hence no vertical line.)

For the last downward stroke on the left you will need to start at the top left corner again. Tap the squeegee a couple of times on the window to remove excess water. Complete the downward stroke with the squeegee at a slight angle as shown.

However , no matter what I do I am left with some short lines towards the top

am I being too fussy , and will I have to polish these off with scrim, or is there a better technique?

Also is it important to use wagtail rubbers for the wagtails or will normal ones do?, I noticed there is a small width difference and some ridges on the wagtail ones

no idea if this is important!

You're always gonna have some water left at the top on the last pull. Even with all the dog earring now you always need to detail the top edge.

on the rubber front ive used both and theres really no difference, just make sure you dont get a hard rubber (as they can stick a bit and softer rubber glides nicer using the pole)

with the fine water line what i do is flip my wagtail over and gently give a quick wipe with my detailing tool, you will have to modify your wagtail first, just type in youtube "how to modify a wagtail" and loads of vids pop up mate

on the rubber front ive used both and theres really no difference, just make sure you dont get a hard rubber (as they can stick a bit and softer rubber glides nicer using the pole)with the fine water line what i do is flip my wagtail over and gently give a quick wipe with my detailing tool, you will have to modify your wagtail first, just type in youtube "how to modify a wagtail" and loads of vids pop up mate
thanks steve a toptip! /emoticons/smile.png

When I used my wagtail on a pole, I don't lift the rubber off the glass until I'm finished, just like I would with a standard squeegee.. When you doing bits lifting do another bit, lift do another you will leave water marks..

When I used my wagtail on a pole' date=' I don't lift the rubber off the glass until I'm finished, just like I would with a standard squeegee.. When you doing bits lifting do another bit, lift do another you will leave water marks..[/quote']Im impressed! wish I could ...can you fan with a wagtail at 5M reach? if so ..its something to aim for! /emoticons/smile.png

Im impressed! wish I could ...can you fan with a wagtail at 5M reach? if so ..its something to aim for! /emoticons/smile.png
yes u can fan upstairs windows just takes a bit of practice, i practised on my own windows first, after a couple goes you,ll get the hang of it, i did!,

you really want to modify your wagtail tho so much easier when on pole, did u manage to check out the videos on youtube mate?

Back