Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Back Links to web site?

strech

Hi guys been up dating web site seo and all those good things and been seeing a lot about back links to your web site and how good they are and the more you have the higher your page is in search results, tested mine and I have 0 tested a few of my rivals and 0ne has 83 and another has 56, I feel let down by the size of mine!!!!?  are they very good and important and how do you get them? Get lots of Back aches but can't seem to get any Back links any help guys

Thanks Strech 

OPPPS just seen GAVS POST SORRY MISSED IT EARLIER

Last edited by a moderator:
Links are importanrt but be very carful. Google knows if you are buying links or using shady tactics. You should start with sitations for local ranking. 

By the way ranking isnt all about links. There are many different elements here. 

Take a look at some of the articles i have writen on my site ThriveWP they will give you a good insight. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing you can do for a local business is build citation links, these are backlinks with information about your business. Google will look at these and compare them with your GMB listing. In return your website will rank higher and also your GMB listing. 

Try and get as many relevant links from other sites/directories. Do you know anything about optimizing the page for keywords? 

Citations and links are 2 different things.

Citations are mentions of your business online and structured citations are mentions that include N A P - name, address, phone number. Citations from the authoritative directories are important e.g. GMB, Bing, Yell, Yelp, Scoot etc and other directories that are relevant to your industry or location are also useful. They are basically a means of establishing an online presence and business info should always be accurate and consistent, e.g. if your business is in 'XYZ Avenue' and is spelt like that on GMB and your website, make sure it's spelt like that everywhere and not abbreviated to Ave. Google understands what Ave means but keep it consistent.

But thousands of directories now exist only for the purposes of SEO and selling premium listings with a backlink. Too many of these listings on sites that are low quality and low authority can be harmful to SEO.

Backlinks are direct links to your website from another domain and as @myguttercleanhas said you want links from relevant websites. In reality getting valuable backlinks is much easier said than done. Just because a competitor has more it doesn't mean they're any good. There are ways to check this but I won't go into that.

But I wouldn't get too preoccupied with aquiring links. As Gav says there is much more to ranking well than links and citations, and  on their own they aren't going to make any significant difference to ranking in search results or the GMB local pack.

There are 200+ ranking factors. They're not all assessed for all searches but there are far more actionable ways to improve your website, your SEO and your ranking. Citations and links should only be part of a SEO strategy, and to get the maximum benefit from them you should choose business categories with care, vary keywords used for business descriptions, write unique descriptions for different listings and also register with UK Data Aggregators who sell and supply business information to search engines including Google and other directories - Bing Places scrape unverified listings info from Yelp.

Central Index is a UK Data Aggregator.

I realise the original post is somewhat dated now but just wanted to clarify that useful backlinks are not easy to get and there are only a limited number of citation sources that are actually necessary and will help with SEO / ranking. It's widely accepted now that more is not better and multiple listings on low quality, low authority directories does not benefit SEO and could even be seen by Google as spammy.
The vast majority of directories only exist for SEO purposes and to sell backlinks to business owners. They rank very low in SERPS and have little or no genuine users and search traffic.
Brightlocal are definitely real experts in local SEO matters but when your funds are limited there is no point paying a professional SEO company when there are only relatively few online free directory listings worth claiming and you caan do that for yourself..
As for a YouTube channel, there's no point starting one unless you intend to actively engage with it and regularly update it will relevant and informative / useful content. That way it can be used over time to build some authority and credibility for your website and backlinks can be added in your profile and within individual postings.
Having said that, having multiple backlinks from the same website, i.e. youtube to your website, means Google will only count one of them for ranking purposes. However, there can be other benefits and ways to target particular keywords but that's another matter.
But my point is that it's not as simple as just creating a channel for a backlink and then forget about it. To get the longer term SEO benefits and ranking boosts a channel needs a purpose and reason to exist. Otherwise don't bother.

Back