backflushing

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Keith Allison, Jun 16, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Keith Allison

Keith Allison Newcomer

Does anyone know how long the salt takes to dissolve when back flushing

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

As above, salt?
    I back flush my ro from end of work Friday until Saturday evening.

4. MrBump

MrBump Guest

You backflush your ro for 24 hours?! I thought it just needed to be done for an hour when changing filters :whistle:

5. Dominic

Dominic Newcomer

I was told to do it for 15 minutes:)

6. Dominic

Dominic Newcomer

The salt takes about 5 to 10 minutes on an Ionics system.I've always done it but then a lot of people have told me salt washing is unnecessary. So many differing opinions from the manufacturers!

7. Dunner

Dunner Member

Salt is for the water softener. Flush through after producing about 1000 ltrs of pure, takes about 10 mins for the salt to disappear.

Backwash is for the RO, 20 mins about once a week.

8. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Their advise will always be in accord with their agenda. There was a recent post about a well know supplier who won't fit a carbon block prefilter to their filtration products. Chlorine destroys r/o membranes and a carbon block prefilter removes the chlorine. Add 2 and 2 together and it will equate to early membrane replacement, more sales and more profit.

If you live in a hard water area, then a water softener (not really the name name for it TBH) will remove the magnesium and calcium ions from the water and replace them with sodium ions. Sodium ions are then removed by the r/o membrane. Membranes handle sodium ions much easier that magnesium and calcium ions so will last longer. (If you put tap water with a tds of 450 through a water softener, the tds will be the same at the other end. It will just have a different composition of totally dissolved solids.)

If you want honest to goodness advice then suppliers such as Gardiners, Daqua and a few others are highly recommended.

Advertisement