Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched window

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Alex87

Evening all

Cleaned my cousins windows just over 2 weeks ago.

It was a first clean. All cleaned with gardiner soft hybrid brush which I have been using for 3 weeks.

Had a call tonight to say when the sun was shining on the patio doors the glass is Scratched. I said will call up and have a look.

Went up there and the scratches weren't v shaped or in lines they were swirls.

Could this of been me that caused it ?

Personally I can't see how as there is no swirling action going on when they are cleaned.

Has really got me down thinking about it but I haven't had no complaints from nobody else.

Thanks

had the same myself a few weeks ago , i got a indendent glass company in and between the three of us we couldn't pin point who was to blame legaly

so i just bit the bullet and got them to change the glass , not worth messing around with . tax man will pay for it in jan

i didn't want the customer to feel bad , and there a great couple been going there years

If it If it was a first clean Alex how do they know they weren't there already hidden by dust and grime?

Easy to blame the windie

I mean what you looking at to replace the glass on a patio door. I know it depends on size. It's a large french door.

theres a colchester glass lad [james bunker] his price is to renew double glazing is around 100quid for 3 windows ,fitted

Evening all
Cleaned my cousins windows just over 2 weeks ago.

It was a first clean. All cleaned with gardiner soft hybrid brush which I have been using for 3 weeks.

Had a call tonight to say when the sun was shining on the patio doors the glass is Scratched. I said will call up and have a look.

Went up there and the scratches weren't v shaped or in lines they were swirls.

Could this of been me that caused it ?

Personally I can't see how as there is no swirling action going on when they are cleaned.

Has really got me down thinking about it but I haven't had no complaints from nobody else.

Thanks

It wasn't you due to the nature of the scratches.

If it was you then you would have the issue with other windows.

Its pointless trying to second guess how scratches like this have occurred. It could have been a painter cleaning off after a job, someone using a dry cloth on dirty/gritty windows to clean them or any thing else. It could even have happened during manufacture. It was probably not noticeable before, but wfp has cleaned the dirt out of the scratches making them visible now.

Cousin or no cousin, don't get dragged into finding a solution to their problem. Ask them to tell you how it happened/could have happened. I think the saying is "don't take on someone else's monkey."

In law you are innocent until proved guilty. But in this instance you are guilty until you prove that you aren't. Why should the onus be on you to find a solution?

We once got a complaint about damage to a conservatory window. It was from an unshielded angle grinder cutting a fence post near the glass. I told him he had also damaged the glass of the conservatory belonging to the neighbours next door. "Oh dear, I had better shut up then and we will see if he notices it."

Funny how the window cleaner is the first person to be 'accused' of causing the damage.

Sorry, I don't mean to come across as harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it If it was a first clean Alex how do they know they weren't there already hidden by dust and grime?Easy to blame the windie
Thats what I thought. The other point aswell is that they had their garden done a few months ago and was a big messy job. Lots of dirt about. And they have never had a window cleaner. So I'm thinking they cleaned themselves and scratched them whilst doing so.

I have plenty of custys with scratched glass..not once have i been blamed

If i notice any on new cleans i always point them out to avoid them playing the blame game once I've gone

if its" low sun",its amazing!!you will see every little mark & scratches.& who gets the blame.yes us.its been like this here in the midlands(low sun)I would suggest showing the customer the brush,very soft bristles etc.tbh from my experience they wont let it go unless you pay.its not your fault"get rid"and replace with three.

I would never pay as i didn't do it

I'd like.to see someone prove it was me when i didn't do it

The window cleaner will alway get the blame as we are always the last trade off a job when any construction or work has taken place.

If the scratches are in a circular motion then I can guarantee you did not cause then.

A circular motion is the mark of someone rubbing a mark with a dirty gritty cloth or the have used something harsh like Brillo pads.

Offer to drop round a brush head and tell him you will leave it with him to rub over the glass,if he manages to scratch any with it you will replace them.

It will never happen.

I don't want to pay as I don't feel I would of caused this. If it's horizontal, vertical or v shape scratches then ye it may have been me. But swirls it wouldn't have been possible.

Just irritating me as I'm a month into doing this and don't want a bad reputation going around. Aww he scratched my windows.

Like cgh said you can show that it can't be done with your brush so that's their argument over

Ive done jobs, noted the scratches, and mention them to the customer if they're obvious.

Some I think we're caused by near by tree branches within reach of the glass.

I think our brushes are the opposite of likely to scratch, more likely to leave a bit of paint/bird muck on.

Some of my own Windows look clear most of the time, but worst I've seen in the low level light

Like cgh said you can show that it can't be done with your brush so that's their argument over
The first thing they said was I'm not sure of you had dirt or stone stuck in your brush.

Ye will give them the brush and see what they say.

its there word against yours.if you had of done it you wouldn't be on here talking about it.don't beat yourself up over it,it happens all the time,i smashed an antique vase or something a couple of weeks ago bringing the ladders through a house:eek:.& yes I lost the customer.so either pay or get rid.not easy I know

I've had a customer telling me I've scratched her sill with my brush, load of ballcocks, it looked like a builder had used a Stanley knife to get the plastic covering off. I've also seen loads of glass where the cat or dog has clawed at the glass and scratched it.

Alex, you say it was a first clean, was it a first clean after building work or that they hadn't been cleaned in a long time? I hope you freekin charged this cousin of yours!

Back