backpack startup

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by 1393jason, Jul 13, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. 1393jason

1393jason Active Member

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of setting up a window cleaning business and have been looking at the varies starter packs on offer at the window cleaning warehouse.

Is it possible to start a new round with the back pack starter kit found here Big Boy Backpack Starter Kit

Or would i better learning the ropes by going trad?

Any feedback or advice very much welcome

cheers
    Jason

Advertisement
  2. Nudel

Nudel Member

I'm a traditional taught cleaner myself, and while I do love my water fed pole I wouldn't be able to work effectively without my traditional gear, its just so incredibly much faster on the windows I can reach. Also, it saves water, those 4x25 litre jugs won't last forever if you only use the pole.

Without knowing the basics of cleaning, how would you be able to tell if a second story window is clean enough? How would you troubleshoot it when you get a complaint?

I wouldn't hire a carpenter that didn't know how to use a hammer (even though he probably doesn't use it much). Would you hire a window cleaner that didn't know how to use a squeegee?

A water fed pole kit might be a good alternative to buying an expensive/tall ladder, but while I really don't like ladder work it is sometimes required to get on a balcony or a roof.

Learning the trade hands on from someone is (in my opinion) the best and fastest way to go, before you can start out for yourself. But then again, there are people who learned to clean windows on youtube, so it's up to you. Practice makes perfect, be proud of your trade. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

This one always causes arguments but i don't care
    I still say you can't be a windie if you can't use a squeegee
    I use both methods and even rag the glass on certain glass if needed
    Every method has it's place

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

There are cheaper backpacks and poles out there, but you need to think about how your going to get your pure water, ro, di or buy it. Id personally recommend starting trad then once youve built up a bit then get a backpack, ive not long got one and you will go through water quickly on first cleans. Plus starting with trad will build confidence, especially with ladder work, which youll still need to do when clearing gutters out or to get on balconies and flat roofs

5. albootyerbaws

albootyerbaws Well-Known Member

learn trad first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. JClean

JClean Member

I started last October and used loads of tips of this site that has been a god send. I bought a Gardiner back pack and pole for the awkward townhouses and some tops, but I reckon it's 70% trad 30% pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

7. High-tower

High-tower Active Member

start traditional, theres more to running a window cleaning business than just cleaning windows, that way you have less invested in it if you decide its not for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. albootyerbaws

albootyerbaws Well-Known Member

9. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

Or the the cleaning warehouse do good poles and backpacks, ill be writing a review on them as soon as i get 2 mins

10. C Rose Cleaning Services

I've been traditional for 12 years. This year my employee of 7 ditched me with a weeks notice so I bought a starter WFP kit like yours above. Hated it to begin with, did a terrible job but I persevered with it and looked at techniques etc and now 4 months in I've bought a carbon pole and all the bells to go with. Absolutely love it. Find once the first clean is out of the way then I fly through the work.

For you I'd start with a basic traditional kit that'll cost you very little and build up a round. Then start investing in WFP gear. You still can't be 100% WFP anyway because of flat roofs etc so best to know your roots just in case.

I love both and will continue to use both for the foreseeable but I prefer the results (upstairs predominantly) left by the pure water.

I still trad 95% of my downstairs Windows though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Advertisement