Backpack users, bit of advice please...

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Jake, Jul 1, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Need to get a backpack or a trolley as I have a bunch of flats to do, but the courtyard in the middle means I'm not aloud to drag hose through the lobby part, up the stairs then out the doors to the courtyard.

So I need a backpack, but how long does the water last? Best one to get?

Advertisement
  2. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

i can do a bunglow with a 18l back pack now prob with 10/12 windows easy thats on a high flow using aquadapter as long as there is no stubbern bird crxxxap on the glass an there not filfy

3. cheapncheerful

my backpack tops out at 20litres and can do a semi easy but may need a top up for a detached...

I usually take the backpack and pole in one hand and another half empty barrel in the other...

and usually carry mine by the lid as the wheels not so good..

one on ebay for £85 ish so only cheap..

but really wouldnt mind the extra like the big boy that carries 35 litres..

4. I use a shurflo backpack on a sack trolley. Takes about 20litre. That'll do me about 15-20 mins with good flow.

5. Posh

Posh Hero

Mines a wcw one & had it for over 2 years & just replaced the pump but has been brilliant. Reaches 3 story easy. I've also got a big boy but mines only 20 litres. Not seen the 35 litre one. I've also made 2 which cost me about £40.

6. cheapncheerful

or of course...if you a bit flush...theres always the ionics one...75 or even...95 litres...I got all excited til I saw the price..

close to £2000 for the smaller one:eek:

but...its probably very good..

7. richard123456

richard123456 Member

What kind of backpack are you using?

8. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

For reliability - shurflo
    Mine outlasted 3 WCW ones
    Gardiner seems good value...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Upstairs! Rules out some of those large capacity units other posters have been talking about.

We have a backpack as well as a backpack like the latest Gardiner one. I would go for the Gardiner one TBH. Relatively easy to carry upstairs along with a couple of 25 litre plastic drums to top up with as you need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#10 spruce, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015

I think if you got one you would regret it. They cease to become portable. They aren't easy to get up steps and refilling becomes difficult. The wheels tend to be thin and that makes difficult work on any soft ground/lawn etc. So you end up having to sort a hose reel with a length of hose anyway.

I saw one cleaner that ended up leaving his large trolley on the street using a length of hose to get around the backs. Haven't seen him for years now.

There is a windie on another forum that started off with a Brodex 50 liter unit. He found it a liability and quickly converted over to a van mount using the pump and controller from it. On occasion he found he still had 30 or 40 liters of water in his trolley and he couldn't lift that back into his van. Did he pour that water out into the street or waste time and pump the water from his trolley back into the tank in his van?

Advertisement