Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof Pricing / First timer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

KieMan

My main line of business is gutter clean and installing fascia soffit and guttering. A large amount of my customer ask my before either cleaning gutters or installing new ones to clean moss roof area off.

My question our

1. Do you think I can do this just from access scaffolding with a wire copper brush attached to my WFP to first remove moss as don't want to go on roof itself.

2. I was thinking of buying a genie in a box and creating a 100l water butt with hose lock connection to apply Benz Black wash and Bio side (don't fancy mixing my own as if yet)

3. Do you think this can be done successfully with this set-up

4. How long with it take and what should ever age price be. I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but just a rough price for an average semi with 3 sides with good access and medium moss coverage (I'm based in Surrey/London)

Thanks in advance

My main line of business is gutter clean and installing fascia soffit and guttering. A large amount of my customer ask my before either cleaning gutters or installing new ones to clean moss roof area off.
My question our

1. Do you think I can do this just from access scaffolding with a wire copper brush attached to my WFP to first remove moss as don't want to go on roof itself.

2. I was thinking of buying a genie in a box and creating a 100l water butt with hose lock connection to apply Benz Black wash and Bio side (don't fancy mixing my own as if yet)

4. How long with it take and what should ever age price be. I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but just a rough price for an average semi with 3 sides with good access and medium moss coverage (I'm based in Surrey/London)

Thanks in advance

Alright mate,

What your suggesting sounds fine and as for pricing I use Average/Typical Cost to Clean a Roof in the UK

which prices a simple up and over roof at £500 - that doesn't include cost of Blackwash and Biocide which is going to be about £115.

I could only see one price example.They used to have 3 up to size of 4/5 bed detached house which was about £1000 for one man set up in SE/London.

I've always undercut these prices slightly and refer customers to them so they can see they are getting a good deal, but still good money - in Kent I charge £700ish for detached house and 2 days work max so an earner. Hope this helps.

My question our

Thanks in advance
1: Very possible, massively labor intensive and knackering.

2: Sure, once you remove and replace all the pump seals with chem resistant seals.

3: It can be done, it can be done successfully but you're going to have a ball ache doing it this way.

4: I'll get my string.

I suggest you try exactly what you have said on your own home before you go out and buy a Genie box.

@K in Kent , if you're spending £115 on chems for a typical up and over semi (50sqm approx) then you are applying way too much chem IMO.

2: Sure, once you remove and replace all the pump seals with chem resistant seals.

3: It can be done, it can be done successfully but you're going to have a ball ache doing it this way.

I suggest you try exactly what you have said on your own home before you go out and buy a Genie box.

@K in Kent , if you're spending £115 on chems for a typical up and over semi (50sqm approx) then you are applying way too much chem IMO.
Thanks for reply, appreciated.

Yes I know it will be more labour intensive doing it from an access tower but not comfortable standing on roof area.

Also my main other concern before i do other this service, do you think I can do damage to roof (will be using Benz Black wash as safer mixer to start with imo)

I've heard horror story's of people's houses catching on fire due to water ingress and causing electric fire. I know to run chems and water down the tile line not up. Suppose i just over thinking but it is a concern. I have lined up my dads roof to practice on

Thanks for reply, appreciated.
Yes I know it will be more labour intensive doing it from an access tower but not comfortable standing on roof area.

Also my main other concern before i do other this service, do you think I can do damage to roof (will be using Benz Black wash as safer mixer to start with imo)

I've heard horror story's of people's houses catching on fire due to water ingress and causing electric fire. I know to run chems and water down the tile line not up. Suppose i just over thinking but it is a concern. I have lined up my dads roof to practice on
Would love to know where you heard of houses catching fire from roof washing.

Total toss.

Yes always wash down slope not up.

I'm not spending £115 - he said he was going to buy Blackwash and Biocide - Blackwash is about £55 for 5 litres and Benz Biocide about 60 quid = £115. I was pointing it out,NOT recommending it

Read that Blackwash not the best for doing roofs, mostly used for render and cladding. I have now decided I'm not getting into roof cleaning after researching and working on my own

Read that Blackwash not the best for doing roofs, mostly used for render and cladding. I have now decided I'm not getting into roof cleaning after researching and working on my own

Fair enough mate. But I've got to challenge that comment about Blackwash because it's so wrong. Benz Blackwash is excellent for doing roofs - safe,effective and approved by the UK Health and Safety Executive 8

Did you read about that same place as where soft washing sets roofs on fire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough mate. But I've got to challenge that comment about Blackwash because it's so wrong. Benz Blackwash is excellent for doing roofs - safe,effective and approved by the UK Health and Safety Executive 8Did you read about that same place as where soft washing sets roofs on fire?

Haha - I had hard that a roof caught on fire due to water ingress and set electrics off. But understand it does sound like a load of flannel. Your mixing me up with Christian - in defo getting into roof cleaning and glad you have co signed black wash for roofs as this will be Chem of choice to start with until con in mixing my own hypo. Have you used black wash to good effects K on roofs

I never mentioned houses catching fire!! :eek:You want to use black wash then that's fine, you can mix your own it's not hard and will save you a fortune!

Back