Battery

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Kasper Sjostrand, Feb 2, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Kasper Sjostrand

Kasper Sjostrand Newcomer

Hello everybody. What is your experiences regarding batteries? I have a gel-battery that is less than 4 months old and now i cant recharce it fully. Some say it "dies" if exposed to subzero temperatures, but it has barely been that (close though) is a car battery total out of the question?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. spruce

spruce Grand Master

No, but its not ideal. Most of us use leisure batteries.

A car battery is designed to deliver a large amount of power in short bursts (to start the engine) and then to be fully charged again when the engine is running. A leisure battery won't take that power surge as its designed to deliver power more slowly over a longer period of time. (The plates inside the battery are constructed or made differently.)

Some have found using second hand car batteries from a scrap yard works for them as they are cheap and easily replaced with another cheap one. They are happy if they last 6 months.

I don't know anything about gel batteries so I can't help you there.

Keeping a flooded cell battery (car battery and leisure battery) fully charged is important for battery life. We find in cold months I tend to recharge our leisure battery every night but every second night in the summer. I also have a split charge relay so the van does recharge the battery when the engine is running, but its very limited as we don't do enough mileage.

Batteries don't like extreme cold. The colder they are the worse they perform.

3. paul1

paul1 Well-Known Member

try powerline ones mate and charge every night or every other as above, I use powerline and had no issues has yet in cold or anything.......

4. TJTOPCAT

TJTOPCAT Member

Can't go much wrong with a quick squint on eBay. £45 for an 85ah leisure battery with a 3 yr warranty. !!!.
    Check out this item I found on eBay: eBay
    Just keep it charged up every day or two overnight with a decent inexpensive smart battery charger. Lidl & Aldi always have some good ones for around £13.
    I use two battery's . 1 on charge and 1 in use.

Sent from my Turbo_mini_F1 using Window Cleaning Forums

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. AEG

AEG Banned

Gel batteries if over charged damage very easy.

6. AEG

AEG Banned

£45.00 very cheap even to cheap. Anyone tried these and how much is that postage if you need to return and will they honour 3 years ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. TJTOPCAT

TJTOPCAT Member

The two I have got are still going strong 12mths and 18mths. Sometimes its how you look after things , like all things you could buy one twice the price, but if you don't look after it and keep it tip top charged it wont last 6 mths.

Sent from my Turbo_mini_F1 using Window Cleaning Forums

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Kasper Sjostrand

Kasper Sjostrand Newcomer

Thanks everybody. Looks like its not gonna be a gel battery next time. Thanks for the advice.

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Good questions. This is why I would always buy locally. A caravan leisure center will always have a supply of fresh leisure batteries if there is one near you. Halfords is another outlet. Yes, a little more expensive but at least a faulty unit can be cheaply returned.

10. DanielT

DanielT Active Member

I've always (only needed two in many years) bought Numax cvx batteries from tayna.co.uk

Advertisement