Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

backpack startup

1393jason

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of setting up a window cleaning business and have been looking at the varies starter packs on offer at the window cleaning warehouse.

Is it possible to start a new round with the back pack starter kit found here Big Boy Backpack Starter Kit

Or would i better learning the ropes by going trad?

Any feedback or advice very much welcome

cheers

Jason

I'm a traditional taught cleaner myself, and while I do love my water fed pole I wouldn't be able to work effectively without my traditional gear, its just so incredibly much faster on the windows I can reach. Also, it saves water, those 4x25 litre jugs won't last forever if you only use the pole.

Without knowing the basics of cleaning, how would you be able to tell if a second story window is clean enough? How would you troubleshoot it when you get a complaint?

I wouldn't hire a carpenter that didn't know how to use a hammer (even though he probably doesn't use it much). Would you hire a window cleaner that didn't know how to use a squeegee?

A water fed pole kit might be a good alternative to buying an expensive/tall ladder, but while I really don't like ladder work it is sometimes required to get on a balcony or a roof.

Learning the trade hands on from someone is (in my opinion) the best and fastest way to go, before you can start out for yourself. But then again, there are people who learned to clean windows on youtube, so it's up to you. Practice makes perfect, be proud of your trade. /emoticons/smile.png

This one always causes arguments but i don't care

I still say you can't be a windie if you can't use a squeegee

I use both methods and even rag the glass on certain glass if needed

Every method has it's place

There are cheaper backpacks and poles out there, but you need to think about how your going to get your pure water, ro, di or buy it. Id personally recommend starting trad then once youve built up a bit then get a backpack, ive not long got one and you will go through water quickly on first cleans. Plus starting with trad will build confidence, especially with ladder work, which youll still need to do when clearing gutters out or to get on balconies and flat roofs

I started last October and used loads of tips of this site that has been a god send. I bought a Gardiner back pack and pole for the awkward townhouses and some tops, but I reckon it's 70% trad 30% pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

start traditional, theres more to running a window cleaning business than just cleaning windows, that way you have less invested in it if you decide its not for you.

I've been traditional for 12 years. This year my employee of 7 ditched me with a weeks notice so I bought a starter WFP kit like yours above. Hated it to begin with, did a terrible job but I persevered with it and looked at techniques etc and now 4 months in I've bought a carbon pole and all the bells to go with. Absolutely love it. Find once the first clean is out of the way then I fly through the work.

For you I'd start with a basic traditional kit that'll cost you very little and build up a round. Then start investing in WFP gear. You still can't be 100% WFP anyway because of flat roofs etc so best to know your roots just in case.

I love both and will continue to use both for the foreseeable but I prefer the results (upstairs predominantly) left by the pure water.

I still trad 95% of my downstairs Windows though.

Agree with all above , WHEN not IF you get an inside clean (we all do once in a while ) you will know what to do . Theres not a whole lot of inside cleaning by WFP . /emoticons/biggrin.png

As mentioned theres diff tools for diff jobs :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the replies, so much valuable info on this site. Sounds like I am better learning the ropes by getting some trad kit.

My thinking was by the time I had the bought roof racks for the car and a ladder my costs would not be too far away from buying the backpack and obviously would be a much safer way of doing things.

I would start by wfp tops and trad bottoms

Good to have both skills plus carrying water in a car is awkward if you want to carry enough for a days work 100% wfp

An applicator and 2 squeegees 10" and 14" is all you need as you don't need 7 seperate sizes like me lol

The thing is unless you are seriously picky about your customers you will always need ladders for hopping over flat roofs etc

Also if you are going to clear gutters etc you will need them

A decent set of ladders won't cost much

You could wfp tops and trad bottoms and not buy ladders until you have built up some work and just avoid awkward access ones etc for a few weeks until you have cash flowing in

Thanks so much for the replies, so much valuable info on this site. Sounds like I am better learning the ropes by getting some trad kit.
My thinking was by the time I had the bought roof racks for the car and a ladder my costs would not be too far away from buying the backpack and obviously would be a much safer way of doing things.
Truth be told unless you're going to avoid windows on roofs or not take on the extra money from gutter and fascia cleans then you'd need a roof rack and ladders anyway. You can get a pack of roof bars for £60-70 and a reasonable ladder for about £100 so it's not that much money. But as someone said unless you want to spend an awful amount of money on a 'dry' indoor kit (Unger Stingray for example) then squeegee skills are essential if you start to clean inside of houses or commercial premises.

WFP is undeniably safer and I use it as much as I can for upstairs but you still need both unfortunately.

Nothing stopping you from getting the full setup for less than £1000 and you'll have everything you need. Just depends how confident you are on the size of the round you're anticipating.

Best bet is to canvas and do Saturday's and Sunday's whilst doing your current job (if applicable). Use that money to pay back the tools and then build it into a full time round before you leave any other income behind.

Quite happy to DM you a list of everything I have in my van so you've got an idea of what you need and how much it all costs if you like. Just send me a message.

Good luck!

I would start by wfp tops and trad bottomsGood to have both skills plus carrying water in a car is awkward if you want to carry enough for a days work 100% wfp

An applicator and 2 squeegees 10" and 14" is all you need as you don't need 7 seperate sizes like me lol

The thing is unless you are seriously picky about your customers you will always need ladders for hopping over flat roofs etc

Also if you are going to clear gutters etc you will need them

A decent set of ladders won't cost much
This is a great idea, thank you.

Thank you all for your replies. I will get looking at roof bars for the car and get myself a ladder.

What sort of size ladder should I be looking for? and recommendations?

Probably best to keep my start up costs as low as possible while I test out the area, looking at it there does seem to be a lot of window cleaners about locally.

I use a lyte elt230 double and it's been great.

Midland ladders great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Poling the tops and trad the bottom is a pain in the harris....I only trad windows above flat roofs and even that's a pain.

Got to keep going back for ladder....and some downstairs need the ladder too...you have the wfp use it top and bottom.

Latest Posts

Back