Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

window fitting companys

HALTON

had a customer get windows fitted about 6 month ago.

on the second clean i noticed before i even cleaned the window that the lead that is on one of the openers had come off and was sticking out when i looked up at the top window luckily for me the customer was talking to me in the garden before i cleaned and pointed this out to him.

He said he would get on to the company to fix it.

so four months on and its still not fixed and he came out to pay me and he said

i have rang the company back up as they were supposed to fix it and have not as of yet but when i rang them they asked

do you have a window cleaner

He replied back yes

Then its the window cleaner who has done it he has rubbed too hard.

He said this is impossible as he uses a pole thing with jets he hardly touches the window and it was the window cleaner that pointed it out to me before he even touched the window.

i just looked at him today when he said this and laughed i said its always the window cleaner that gets blame from these company's.

i said did you tell them that i did not even clean the windows when i spotted it

he said yes and that's why they are coming back out.

i just laughed and said i hope the rest of the lead on these openers are stuck properly.

Why do we always get the blame for shite manufacturing and window fitters just pisses me off when we get blame

Also just out of curiosity how much if i got blame for it would it cost to replace the lead on the edge of a raised diamond in the middle or the opener.?

I showed a customer a drip from their guttering that had just been replaced with the roof line. I made the mistake of saying it's just not seated right. Customer rang the company and quoted me to which the receptionist said, "how would he know, he's just a window cleaner"

Another old gal told me to keep the pure water, "with all those chemicals in it" away from her new self cleaning connie roof as I'd damage it. I tried to explain but as she went in I heard her say to the old man "the salesman had a tie on" ffs

Never going to amount to much lol

Last edited:
i try to never offer an opinion ,as its not worth it. what i Do say,if im pressed is "youre not right " which covers erly dementia, odd personalities and window faults

had a customer get windows fitted about 6 month ago.on the second clean i noticed before i even cleaned the window that the lead that is on one of the openers had come off and was sticking out when i looked up at the top window luckily for me the customer was talking to me in the garden before i cleaned and pointed this out to him.

He said he would get on to the company to fix it.

so four months on and its still not fixed and he came out to pay me and he said

i have rang the company back up as they were supposed to fix it and have not as of yet but when i rang them they asked

do you have a window cleaner

He replied back yes

Then its the window cleaner who has done it he has rubbed too hard.

He said this is impossible as he uses a pole thing with jets he hardly touches the window and it was the window cleaner that pointed it out to me before he even touched the window.

i just looked at him today when he said this and laughed i said its always the window cleaner that gets blame from these company's.

i said did you tell them that i did not even clean the windows when i spotted it

he said yes and that's why they are coming back out.

i just laughed and said i hope the rest of the lead on these openers are stuck properly.

Why do we always get the blame for shite manufacturing and window fitters just pisses me off when we get blame

Also just out of curiosity how much if i got blame for it would it cost to replace the lead on the edge of a raised diamond in the middle or the opener.?
My previous job was as a window fitter. The price to fix that bit of lead is approximately £4.99, the price of a tube of superglue:thumbsup:

right up my street halton,i was a fitter as was steve,i am local to you-who fitted the windows?,i worked for leeds glass for many years and used to do all there snagging and service work,i know why the lead is coming away(its coming away from the 1/2 inch away from the pvc frame if i am right)

right up my street halton,i was a fitter as was steve,i am local to you-who fitted the windows?,i worked for leeds glass for many years and used to do all there snagging and service work,i know why the lead is coming away(its coming away from the 1/2 inch away from the pvc frame if i am right)
Not sure who fitted them m8

The lead in question is on the top opener there is a diamond shape that stands out in the glass that had a what I call a beveled edge on it were lead outlines the diamond I'll see if I can find a PIC on google

Why do they come away ?

See how in the first PIC the diamond is edged in lead this is how the diamond is edged on customer property except there is two in the opener but seem to bow in a bit so the diamond edge is not straight

Its only one edge not all 4.

So if I have ever any problems kevinc250 can I count on you ?

View attachment 6609

show me a pic mate,but from what you described,its a bevel glued onto the glass and lead applied around the edge of the bevel,

i did this in the early days when they first came out and the general rule was to clean everything with just glass cleaner-which contains silicone

i'll quite happily call round and put yours and your customers case against the window companpy rep if it comes to that if you like

show me a pic mate,but from what you described,its a bevel glued onto the glass and lead applied around the edge of the bevel,i did this in the early days when they first came out and the general rule was to clean everything with just glass cleaner-which contains silicone

i'll quite happily call round and put yours and your customers case against the window companpy rep if it comes to that if you like
PIC is above m8

Company is coming out to replace lead but if one has come loose how long before the other becomes lose.

I'll keep you in mind if I have any problems with this but customer is happy at moment its not me .

PIC is above m8Company is coming out to replace lead but if one has come loose how long before the other becomes lose.

I'll keep you in mind if I have any problems with this but customer is happy at moment its not me .
thats good the company is coming out to replace the lead,next time take a photo before you start cleaning,the lead won't stick that well in this cold damp weather so will soon come away from the glass if they do it in-situ.

they need to heat the glass a bit before they apply the lead

many things really mate,the glass surface should be warm and clean before applying the lead so no water molecules or very few are left on the surface of the glass,this conception is to be fair beyong most manufacturers so the lead is really just "hanging there" at the best of times,lack of training and people who know what they are doing to train the new guys are few and far between in my opinion,although i worked for leeds glass for nearly ten years and they have a very very good reputation i realised within the first week i'd taken a huge step back in the glass trade,(they offered me a good amount of money to jump ship)most window companies are the same as in stuck in the old days

the edges of the lead in the design you highlighted should be pressed down tightly to the glass and possibly the joints soldered to stop the edges from curling up from the glass

Cheers m8

I just a bit worried now as if one lead has come off how many more will do it.

OK mist will say dump it move on problem is I do about 49 houses all on the same rd so that's not an option.

Like I said customer seems happy its not me so all good at moment but if another cones off it could be a different story.

Do you still fix them Kevin c just in case not just for this but if ever in future ?

Cheers for the offer to show me

I'll just leave it as it is for the moment as they said they would fix it so will just see what happens.

But offer is very much appreciated.

Could you send me your email or number in case I ever need this sort of work doing or glass replacement as you never know in this game.

pm me or use my web contact www.haltoncleaningservices.co.UK

Appreciated

Cheers m8 so what exactly causes it to come off ?
It can be simply a weak solder on that little piece of lead. Its a very monotonous job putting the lead on glass, so complacency happens. I used to be a fitter for Sutton windows and there was always call backs on lead work

Latest Posts

Back