Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Put 2 litres of petrol in diesel van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

Got 2013  Peugeot expert and put 2litres of unleaded in then topped up tank with 60 litres of diesel.  The rescue car service said it was £220 to get it drained. So decided to risk it.  Am I wise to risk it? 

Two people said under 5 litres is ok. 

Should be ok, speaking to a taxi driver and he has the same van as me and he puts petrol in his diesel every now and then to clean his engine although diesel is much cleaner now and no need but his van seems to be fine lol. Wouldn't do it myself like ha 

I put £45 worth of petrol in a hire car once. It was a company car so the AA just came out and sorted it but the AA chap told me that a small amount of petrol (Not referring to the amount I put in of course) will actually clean a diesel engine out.

Because the petrol is lighter than the diesel it will sit on top of the diesel. My ex girlfriend put £10 petrol in a diesel and a local garage talked me through this. They recommended either a full flush and clean at about the same price you were quoted or just keeping it topped up above quarter of a tank. Her mum drove the car for another 2 years with no issues, she just kept it above quarter of a tank like they said.

I put £45 worth of petrol in a hire car once. It was a company car so the AA just came out and sorted it but the AA chap told me that a small amount of petrol (Not referring to the amount I put in of course) will actually clean a diesel engine out.

Because the petrol is lighter than the diesel it will sit on top of the diesel. My ex girlfriend put £10 petrol in a diesel and a local garage talked me through this. They recommended either a full flush and clean at about the same price you were quoted or just keeping it topped up above quarter of a tank. Her mum drove the car for another 2 years with no issues, she just kept it above quarter of a tank like they said.
for how long fill it like that? 

My worry is I put the 2 litres in then drove out of pump - paid then drove round and put the 60 litres of diesel.  Starting the engine when almost empty with the two litres and driving 30 seconds 

I was told it thins the diesel down it's just like putting an redx in I ran the tank down to fumes the other day before filling up didn't do anything. It's like when guys where using vegetable oil in their tanks some would add something like petrol to thin it down and stop it going to think in cold weather.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My worry is I put the 2 litres in then drove out of pump - paid then drove round and put the 60 litres of diesel.  Starting the engine when almost empty with the two litres and driving 30 seconds 
When I put the £45 in it was empty and I drove about 3 miles before I got issues, you know straight away because you start bunny hopping down the road. The AA fuel chap said a small amount is released slowly round the engine and the additives in petrol actually clean it out but they don't recommend it because special cleaner like Redex is already available for this kind of thing.

The recommendation my ex got from the garage was to keep it above quarter of a tank forever! That was £10 worth though. That was about 10 years ago so it was probably about 11 litres too so you probably wouldn't need to keep it that high. I imagine if you were gonna get any issues you would have had them by now like I did but don't quote me, I'm not a mechanic haha

I think you should be okay. When you put the 2 litres in the lines are still going to be full of diesel. But youre' tank would have 2 litres unleaded. Then you put 60 litres normal diesel into the mix whatever it is then its pretty much still going to be diesel I think.

Also worth mentioning that it is now possible to put diesel in a petrol too. The Diesel nozzle never used to fit but because they make more diesel cars nowadays they make all the connections the same larger size.

Ok so this probably won't affect many people on here because we mostly drive diesel van's but it may come up in a pub quiz some day haha!!

When I put the £45 in it was empty and I drove about 3 miles before I got issues, you know straight away because you start bunny hopping down the road. The AA fuel chap said a small amount is released slowly round the engine and the additives in petrol actually clean it out but they don't recommend it because special cleaner like Redex is already available for this kind of thing.

The recommendation my ex got from the garage was to keep it above quarter of a tank forever! That was £10 worth though. That was about 10 years ago so it was probably about 11 litres too so you probably wouldn't need to keep it that high. I imagine if you were gonna get any issues you would have had them by now like I did but don't quote me, I'm not a mechanic haha
How much u damage your van/car? 

I would run it as normal but keep topping up until the unleaded in there is insignificant......which it already is...... You had residual right? Then you put only 2 litres in? Drove around the pumps( naff all) and then put 60 litres in? You should be okay. The guy you are asking PUT 45 QUID Into an empty tank and drove until the engine stopped working. You are not in this boat.

How much u damage your van/car? 
The car was a 17 plate Peugeot, it was a hire car from Europcar and the AA fuel assist just came out and sorted it. There was no damage at all except to my wallet from the £45 I lost.

The other one was 10 years ago in an Astra and again no damage but they did keep it above 1/4 of a tank like the garage said. To be honest from reading what @Lawrence Morgan found in the Telegraph I reckon that was the garage trying to sell her a full engine flush and filter change at over £200 because she didn't have breakdown cover. I reckon if they gave it a few thousand miles it would have all been gone.

All signs are you are safe with 2 litres though dude

I would run it as normal but keep topping up until the unleaded in there is insignificant......which it already is...... You had residual right? Then you put only 2 litres in? Drove around the pumps( naff all) and then put 60 litres in? You should be okay. The guy you are asking PUT 45 QUID Into an empty tank and drove until the engine stopped working. You are not in this boat.
Yeah.... Not my brightest hour haha

The car was a 17 plate Peugeot, it was a hire car from Europcar and the AA fuel assist just came out and sorted it. There was no damage at all except to my wallet from the £45 I lost.

The other one was 10 years ago in an Astra and again no damage but they did keep it above 1/4 of a tank like the garage said. To be honest from reading what @Lawrence Morgan found in the Telegraph I reckon that was the garage trying to sell her a full engine flush and filter change at over £200 because she didn't have breakdown cover. I reckon if they gave it a few thousand miles it would have all been gone.

All signs are you are safe with 2 litres though dude
yes....Lelax!

Diesel's work on compression so you can get away with 50% of the tank petrol and 50% diesel.

Buggered if you've put diesel in a petrol as it won't work.

Latest Posts

Back