Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Benchmarks for new window cleaners?

BristolJoe

Hi everyone. 2 months in to starting window cleaning. I feel it is going well but would like to ask how many regular customers or regular revenue do you think I should of generated by now? Bare in mind I didn’t by someone’s round. Just digital marketing and door to door. And are there any benchmarks or milestones I should be aiming for throughout the first year? Many thanks

Hi everyone. 2 months in to starting window cleaning. I feel it is going well but would like to ask how many regular customers or regular revenue do you think I should of generated by now? Bare in mind I didn’t by someone’s round. Just digital marketing and door to door. And are there any benchmarks or milestones I should be aiming for throughout the first year? Many thanks
Hi and welcome , I don’t think there are answers to your questions as each area is different , and each of us may have more appeal or less than the next person calling on ones , but obviously the more time you spend canvassing the quicker you will grow . Set yourself a realistic goal each month and if you don’t reach it try to work out what went wrong , if you exceed it just keep doing what you are doing .

I think the first year or so is kinda like a learning period, so not about earning a large amount, more about trying different ways of working, building a base of decent customers and that includes dumping the rubbish ones as soon as you figure out who they are.

if your not running a debt your paying yourself a wage I'd say that's pretty good for first year I started 14 years ago it's taken along time for me to mind where I can add extra value to the business try to keep your round tight time in the van is dead time when your not earning also sometimes I work my day back to front as I find I see different people at different times and get new custom that way

Last edited:
Hi and welcome , I don’t think there are answers to your questions as each area is different , and each of us may have more appeal or less than the next person calling on ones , but obviously the more time you spend canvassing the quicker you will grow . Set yourself a realistic goal each month and if you don’t reach it try to work out what went wrong , if you exceed it just keep doing what you are doing .
I appreciate the advice. Will bare those points in mind. Thank you

I think the first year or so is kinda like a learning period, so not about earning a large amount, more about trying different ways of working, building a base of decent customers and that includes dumping the rubbish ones as soon as you figure out who they are.
Yes I already have a few I wish I could dump but too early. Quality over quantity. Thanks for the advice

if your not running a debt your paying yourself a wage I'd say that's pretty good for first year I started 14 years ago it's taken along time for me to mind where I can add extra value to the business try to keep your round tight time in the van is dead time when your not earning also sometimes I work my day back to front as I find I see different people at different times and get new custom that way
Working the route in reverse is an interesting approach. Something I’ll attempt in the future. Thank you for the advice.

Every region and every newbie will be different. Some will go out aggressively and get every job going then when earning enough will start to refine their rounds. Others will try and get "good" work only so will take longer.
There's lads on here that went from zero to employing within a year, others still looking for work five years in. Others have packed it in as they couldn't make it work.
As long as you're satisfied where you are that is all that matters. And as long as you can see how you will get more work going forward then you are doing well.
Lots of new builds going on around Bristol and I'm led to believe that I'm getting some work just on the northern outskirts some time this year so might be down there soon.
Good luck

Have a look at Upto 50 customers It's about how @HWCS started. He and his partner built quickly by throwing themselves into it in a big way! I'm not saying it's the only way just it's a great thread charting his journey and what can be achieved IF you put the effort in.

As others have said it depends on you and how quickly you need the money and how much time you have. At the beginning I took every job I could even ones it turned out I couldn't do!! i.e. once gave a price to someone then when I came to clean realised due to an extension and conny I couldn't reach 1 window!!! Oops - I had to explain my mistake - a little embarrassing. Now if I know I can't reach I just explain that I can't and the quote is for the ones I can do. Most customers are fine with that and understand.
Don't be afraid to price high as it's surprising how many may accept the price! Have confidence but not too much, you don't want to come across as c0cky. Don't under price work just to get the job as once you have a reasonable amount of work you will regret the low priced jobs. You will then know you are getting paid a lot less on the under priced ones that you should be getting!!

depends how young you are. if i had and i can still get more customers 15/20 years ago i dont know where id be now work wise. Over the last 10 years new builds up here are everywhere now. i know i can get another 100 customers and more with a gradual flyer and call drop. But i cannot handle it now . Lots of work out there .

Welcome to window cleaning mate, wish you loads of luck!!!
There’s no real answer to your question mate, it depends on far too many things!!!
Just make sure you do a good job every time, keep plugging away at it and you will get there mate!!!
Don’t measure yourself against anyone else just be a nice guy , do a top job and you will smash it!!!

It really depends

For example when I started I took me about a year to get to 100 customers. 2 years to get to 200.

But back then didn't know what i know now. I was mainly leafletting along with paying canvassers which burnt a lot of my money.

I would say if you went out canvassing, posted on fb groups a few times a weeks and ran some fb ads you would literally be run off your feet with first cleans and could probably build a few hundred customers in a year. But after that you would need to start refining.

It takes a few years to get a great round either way because a lot of what you pick up won't be cream.

Just FGS don’t pay for Facebook advertising. You make your 1st payment and they change the algorithm that runs your page so you constantly have to pay money to get people to see your adverts that would see it anyway if you hadn’t paid!!!!

I started 4 years ago with me and my neighbour because our windy chucked it after falling from his ladder. Slowly I got more customers without trying which was about 20 in first year. Stuck at that level till I got a care home so I doubled to 40. Then after two years I advertised on Checkatrade and boom, work all over the place. Now I only advertise in local booklet every month which suits me fine. Must have over a hundred now but its beginning to shot up. Hearing about 3 old windies quitting and I'm getting enquiries but they don't like my prices. Old windies were charging beer money and now their customers are facing reality so they are phoning about. I'm expensive to new customers and that's the way I like it, I don't get the timewasters no more. ?

Yes I already have a few I wish I could dump but too early. Quality over quantity. Thanks for the advice
Absolutely, I've been going 3 months and at first you take what you can to get the numbers up. I've soon learned which type of property it is that I'm after and which ones to avoid if I can. I've found that the larger houses take too long and there is a ceiling on what you can charge for windows only. Also found that the ex council house areas are where I'd like to pick up more business

Back