Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Probably a stupid question for winter months...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Obviously using water in 0 degrees isn't ideal but I'm sure like most of us we offer an all year round service. Using trad you get the conservatory windows etc (unheated or low heat rooms) that freeze over first thing in the morning. To counteract this I've always added a tiny bit of anti freeze to my water to help prevent it, but how do you find WFP during the cold months? Does it freeze on the glass or window sills? I know storing the water in barrels as I do and leaving them in a cold van all night isn't the one (prepared to leave these in my house until I head off in the morning to prevent this) but do you get issues with it freezing in the hose as well? Just something I've been curious about but can't seem to find a decent answer on google.

Cheers.

I have a tube heater ( greenhouse heater) bolted to the inside of the van, if it looks like it might freeze overnight I just run an extentsion lead from the garage and plug it in, don't need to mess about draining pipes or bringing stuff into house

Drain the hose out at night and keep the drums in the houseShould be fine
I've found this method works for me most of the time. However, when the temps remain below freezing during the day it can be a bit of an issue at times. Avoid using any metal connections like 't' or 'y' barbs at the brush head. I've even had water freeze in the pencil jets with air temps of -2 degs on a windy day.

It is crucial not to let water freeze in any pumps or RO etc as this will damage them.

Must admit though to using warm water once temps get to low single figures in winter. It helps keep your hose dry and therefore less grit sticks to it and goes up the pole. I usually heat mine to about 30-35 degs.

I've found this method works for me most of the time. However, when the temps remain below freezing during the day it can be a bit of an issue at times. Avoid using any metal connections like 't' or 'y' barbs at the brush head. I've even had water freeze in the pencil jets with air temps of -2 degs on a windy day.It is crucial not to let water freeze in any pumps or RO etc as this will damage them.

Must admit though to using warm water once temps get to low single figures in winter. It helps keep your hose dry and therefore less grit sticks to it and goes up the pole. I usually heat mine to about 30-35 degs.
My pole hose goes straight into the Gardiner plastic Y to the jets so should be okay.

Does the water not freeze on the actual Windows if you're using cold WFP instead of heated?

The summer is the ideal time to put a little aside for the leaner winter months.

We are pretty fortunate being on the North East coast as we don't get the weather extremes. But we have had more than the usual gales this last year which we haven't worked in.

We are fortunate as my van is on the drive way so I run a lead out to the van with a frost heater. Even during the middle of winter our van water temps are around 8 or 9 degrees. I also have a duvet over the tank in the van which covers the pumps and hose reels as well. I have never had a freezing problem since I have gone with a van mount. (I started off with a trailer and the pipes froze up a couple of times.)

The only issue I've had is frozen van ports when I arrived to my first customer. Went home as it was too cold to work.

Son in law never heated his van, but he drained the pump down so water freezing inside it didn't damage it. He took his hose reel and pole inside.

If you are going away, empty you van's tank to below the baffle line even if you have a frost heater inside. If the water inside your tank freezes it is less likely to damage the tank.

When working, as long as you keep the water flowing then you won't get water freezing in the hose, even if its in a foot of snow.

If you stop for a short period, the first thing that will freeze is the jets in the brush head. Carry a second pole in the van, or at least be able to swap brush heads.

We carry salt and sprinkle it down where we wet pathways and steps. You won't have to worry around most windows. Be aware of footpaths that are used around conservatories. If we have a new customer, we take a couple of photos on our phone showing we have gritted. We also carry a small spade to use if need be. We have a couple of blocks of flats we have in the town center. We won't do those until the weather warms up a bit and the water we put down won't freeze. We also sweep excess water off any paths or pavements in case it freezes later.

If you are walking across icy pavements wear the metal grips that cover your shoes. The postmen and women are supplied them as part of their kit I believe and they work well. They are called WinterTrax.

And if its too cold I go home. I find as I getting older I'm very concerned about slipping and breaking something. Bones take a long time to mend when you are older. I'm probably a little over cautious these days.

One of the things I don't regret is buying and fitting an Eberspatcher Airtronic diesel heater. Its fitted to heat the driver's cabin and is a great way of keeping the van's cabin warm so a haven to go back to and thaw out when needed. But its expensive to run on diesel as well as battery power which is one reason why I usually start it when the van's engine is idling.

If the roads are dangerous or hazardous, stay at home until later. Wrecking your van for the chance of a couple of pounds/euros isn't worth it.

Wear warm clothing and wear gloves as they keep your hands warmer. (I hate gloves btw and try to manage as much as I can without them.)

Frozen windows;

We occasionally encounter that with conservatories although we now know the ones that get the morning 'sun' and the afternoon 'sun'. So we wouldn't clean the conservatory that gets the afternoon warmth in the morning. We haven't had one issue since we worked that out.

We have only had water freezing on the windows of one house we clean once - its a holiday home and the boiler had packed up.

We have also experienced this once with an after school center where the heating was turned off between Christmas and new year.

We had to pump a fair amount of water onto the glass to warm it up, then wash and rinse. The rinse water froze but a later inspection showed that the windows had dried spotless.

As a clean like this can take a long time, you could then decide your course of action at that time. Do you continue cleaning the conservatory or skip it that time and just do the house and charge accordingly?

-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found this method works for me most of the time. However, when the temps remain below freezing during the day it can be a bit of an issue at times. Avoid using any metal connections like 't' or 'y' barbs at the brush head. I've even had water freeze in the pencil jets with air temps of -2 degs on a windy day.It is crucial not to let water freeze in any pumps or RO etc as this will damage them.

I'm glad you mentioned the r/o. Protecting that is very important. A frozen membrane is a useless membrane.

My pole hose goes straight into the Gardiner plastic Y to the jets so should be okay.
Does the water not freeze on the actual Windows if you're using cold WFP instead of heated?
Warm water freezes quicker than cold water btw.

I just get on and clean windows

If it's cold it's cold

Wear warm clothes

Pair of riggers

Can't wear gloves as i don't like it

Too much faffing about

Keep your stuff warm at night and work all day

i think this is a worthy topic because as soon as november comes all the forums will be full of people asking questions

nows the time to start preparing for winter,whether its that gas heater you've dreamed about (one hundred or so pounds on ebay)nows the time to get it all sorted,or its time to make adjustments to your kit,(pumps on a quick release stystem and hole reels so you can take them inside at night)guys while your making a few quid now its better to re-invest some of that into stopping it all from freezing in the winter months

some will ignore all this i know,come december/january they'll be a few posts on what a bind it is to de-frost a pump and hose reel in the morning-taken me hours and scratched the bath etc

carry a spare pump? £80-mornings work its a worthwhile investment,

for those on a gas heater spring make a thermo controller that kicks in at 2c meaning you'll never have a frozen stystem in the morning £150 yes a bit pricey but again money well invested

i could have done with one of those during that bad winter years ago

Yes it can, it's froze on the glass many times for me. The water in my tap froze on the first job of the day one day last winter. I did think about buying a hair dryer that will connect to the leisure battery to thaw things out in an emergency.

All pipes in van.. Put lagging on them now .. Doesn't rotu know.. The ro and filters put sliver insulating wrap round them keep them cosy

.. In ur tank put in a bag of children's play balls .. Keeps it moving and won't freeze..

Buy small heater put in van overnight.. Smallest bit of heat keeps the old away ....

.. Get a gas water heater and connect it after the pump but before the reel ..

On ur reels .. Double o clip all connections and use good hose .. I have threaded rods holding the reels tight to stop the reels comin off black spindles

It's all a learning curve First year I got in sticky spots ..now I know better

I have a tube heater ( greenhouse heater) bolted to the inside of the van, if it looks like it might freeze overnight I just run an extentsion lead from the garage and plug it in, don't need to mess about draining pipes or bringing stuff into house
Any links to your tube heater what size and watt is it ?

Cheers

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Cool. Thanks for your answers. Prevention and preparation is the cure here then. Same as I've been prepared every winter for the last 12 years :thumbsup:

It's still a bugger to work in though /emoticons/tongue.png

The temperature would have to be below 0 for the water to freeze in the hose as your working the hose and jets inducing flowing water prevent freezing so it's got to be in the minuses. Plus barrels won't freeze over one night in your garden at 0 that's not cold enough, the water would have to be cold over days. If it's that bad I stop in bed, surely there are enough days in the year to facilitate losing a 'few' freezing days a year, last winter we didn't get a frost here.

0 is not the temperature water starts to freeze it is the temperature ice can begin to melt

It can actually freeze higher than 0

Back