Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shoulder hurting, how to look after it?

slippy

I have been having some shoulder pain in right shoulder. I am worried about expanding my WFP business. I am not sure if it's from using the pole over conservatories and other areas where you have to put a lot of weight on the shoulder. It could be just from sleeping on it badly as it came from after I bought a new topper for my bed. The osteopath told me the name of the injury and said it was serious.

I want to expand into wfp more and more and make it more of a full time job. How can I protect my body (so I can keep on doing this for longer)? Just choose windows which are one storey and not over any thing making it difficult to reach? Trad the ground?

Can you get a strap which takes the weight of the pole somewhere else on body?

I use a trolley at the moment so when I lift barrel out of trolley into car I do try and use left arm (which is fine) but sometimes you have to use right one.

It

1. Train yourself to sleep only on your stomach and back. It took me a while but it's well worth it.

2. Do weight training regularly, especially exercises like: dumbell shoulder press and military press. Remember that supporting muscle groups in your back are just as important.

3. Stretch regularly. Search for rotator cuff stretches, you should be able to find internal and external stretches. Take a couple minutes to do these even between jobs.

Wfp is repetitive, some of your muscles will become tight, if you don't stretch there will be imbalances in your musculature leading to pain.

4. Consider investing in a lighter pole. I used to have to use aluminium brodex poles, then I had a bendy fibreglass one, eventually when started workimg for myself i invested in a slx22 which not only saves my shoulders but lets me do more work in a day.

I found if doing long stints on one job ie I have 3 blocks of flats all together once a month rocking backwards and forwards to move pole up and down windows using the legs and not up and down with arms helps. If it starts to ache give it a try.

Do a 4 bed detached gutters/soffits job every morning using the pole, you will soon build up some strong shoulders. /emoticons/smile.png

The shoulder joint is not designed to work with water fed poles over conservatory's or to one side so there is no way of preventing pain and injury unless you don't do those windows to minimise this it's important to use light poles.

Don't know how heavy your trolley is but I've worked with a trolley (freedom) for eight years and only recently realized how un-necessarily heavy it is. I've now put a backpack pump on it, a 12v 7ah battery and pneumatic tyres instead of solid ones and now it's 8kgs lighter. This is very noticeable even when there is a full barrel of water on it. Makes it a breeze lifting it in and out of my car.

I've started having a deep tissue massage once a month. I hadn't realised how tight and knotted the muscles in my back, shoulders and neck were until I had it done the first time. I literally walked out the place feeling like a new man.

I've only been wfp for about six months but have done manual work since I left school.

Probably best not to have a massage like that until your injury has healed but might be something worth trying in future.

I go to a bird a few doors down from me and she only charges £15 for half an hour. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The obvious one is to get a light pole, the other thing I do after a tough day is not shower, but lay in a mega hot bath with Epsom salts. Works wonders

I've started having a deep tissue massage once a month. I hadn't realised how tight and knotted the muscles in my back, shoulders and neck were until I had it done the first time. I literally walked out the place feeling like a new man.
I've only been wfp for about six months but have done manual work since I left school.

Probably best not to have a massage like that until your injury has healed but might be something worth trying in future.

I go to a bird a few doors down from me and she only charges £15 for half an hour. Money well spent.

quote?? bird down road only charges £15 for 30mins your a lucky laddie no wonder your walking tall with a muckle smile on your face

quote?? bird down road only charges £15 for 30mins your a lucky laddie you wondr your walking tall with muckle smile on your face
Ha ha. Definitely not like that. You should see the state of her.

hi slippy,you'll probably get the pain in the other shoulder given time,you really need to see a sports physio not an osteopath,check out your local gym for one,i go once a month simply just to keep on top of things,my rotator cuff issue has gone now thanks to the physio and the electric reel/lighter poles and other changes i made has made a whole world of difference

i agree a new bed takes some time for the body to get used to but i think the topper has just highlighted the underlying problem you have had for a while

lifting a trolley in and out of a van all day and water butts won't help either,consider a small tank and use the trolley as a van mount?

What's the name of the serious injury?

Tendonitis of the deltoid is the name the osteopath gave it on right shoulder.

I thought it came from sleeping on it. But as I want to move to wfp as main source of income am worried this could irritate it. Actually I don't know if this does irritate the shoulder? I have an Ionics Grafter pole. Shall I only do windows which are above directly? And refuse houses with conservatories etc? how about rinsing? I always lift the brush off the glass. Should I trad left handed on ground floor (I know it sounds stupid), but it wouldn't be impossible?

Do more gardening? I don't know what will irritate it! I just know sleeping on it for sure did it.

I do some really awkward Windows, stupid angles of to the side n over conservatories, I have a shoulder injury n it really screams pain at me. I have an slx, but really want or need the extreme. I ha e converted to a tank n what a difference not lifting barrels in n out all day, have felt less exhausted. I do use a backpack on a little trolley for awkward.

As suggested, massage, stretching tight muscles n strengthen shoulder joint, but really have to watch your form when using weights, as could cause more injury. My shoulder injury came from doing lateral pulldowns on a tehnogym machine, the style of machine just did not suit my body style, even though I had used different machines before. Lovely lump of scar tissue, took months to get rid of pain in normal use n still painful when ly on it, such fun

Tendonitis can cause serious pain but at least it's not a rotator cuff injury

I tore mine years ago (over 50% depth tear) and it was 50/50 whether they operated on it (cut muscle off bone..repair muscle..screw anchors into bone..hook muscle onto them and wait for them to reattach themselves)

They went for letting it heal itself and it took 2 years

That was about 6 years ago and i still have pain when sleeping on my front

Back