Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing somebody

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Haven't posted in a while but I am in the same situation. I decided it was best to pay a basic wage plus bonus and pay monthly. That way the odd lost day to weather won't really hurt so much. I went with £250 basic for 30 hrs. Bonuses include percentages of profits over weekly targets, cleaner gets money of first cleans if they find the customer plus other incentives. I also negotiated a lost weekday swap for a Saturday because we generally only work 5 days at the moment.

I will pay the man well because I want to keep him and I want him to value his job! I want someone I can trust to run day to day things if I am on holiday etc. 

I have found a guy and am really excited and nervous about the future but I'm prepared to take a leap so I'm ordering a new van on Monday!

I once made the mistake of employing my brother who for a while worked well for me then when he worked out what I was earning he became resentful and I ended up sacking him, so my family had a go at me. Anyway that was a few years ago and it's blown over but apart from my young sons who help me out for pocket money I would never employ family again.
Regarding statuary sick pay, it used to be the company that employed you weren't obliged to pay you anything, but you can claim ssp off the state which used to be £60 a week I know this because when I first started up 20 odd years ago I'd bought a small round and being a devious beggar back then went on the sick with a bad back while on the glass to see if I took to the job.
I did, and all went well until I was seen up a ladder cleaning the windows at the local pub by a supervisor. So I promptly tenderded my resignation lol.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I once made the mistake of employing my brother who for a while worked well for me then when he worked out what I was earning he became resentful and I ended up sacking him, so my family had a go at me. Anyway that was a few years ago and it's blown over but apart from my young sons who help me out for pocket money I would never employ family again.
Regarding statuary sick pay, it used to be the company that employed you weren't obliged to pay you anything, but you can claim ssp off the state which used to be £60 a week I know this because when I first started up 20 odd years ago I'd bought a small round and being a devious beggar back then went on the sick with a bad back while on the glass to see if I took to the job.
I did, and all went well until I was seen up a ladder cleaning the windows at the local pub by a supervisor. So I promptly tenderded my resignation lol.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Know what you mean about working with your brother.

I used to work with my brother window fitting. Both of us have anger issues and it came to a head in a customers house where we had a full on ruck knocking the shelf of the top of the customers fireplace!

Instant dismissal and didn’t speak to each other for nearly a year.

Moral of the story, hire staff, not family imo ?

Regarding employing, you might benefit more from refining your round? Ditch messers and those you don't enjoy, up prices and increase quotes. You'll end up with more for less work.

Maybe sell off those you don't want,  if possible. 

I'm approaching the same situation, and really don't want the hassle of employees. I sub some work out every now and then, but even that is irksome from time to time.

Latest Posts

Back