Best Squeegee/ Detailing

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by jimlaffo, Jan 30, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jimlaffo

jimlaffo Guest

I feel as though I am good using squeegee but most times I always need to scrim/ micro fibre to detail afterwards to ensure a perfect finish.
    Is there any squeegee on the market that is so good there is no need to detail afterwards?
    Has anyone used the new unger ninja? Any good?
    Any tips to prevent detailing?
    Cheers

Advertisement
  2. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

The Unger Ninja was the first squeegee that I brought and used. I could never get on with it (though it could be me rather than the squeegee). It seemed to leave a lot of water at the side of the windows. I brought an SPC 4 X 3 after that. I would thoroughly recommend the SPC, though detailing is still required (that could be me again, lol)...maybe some of the more experienced windies can use a squeegee without the need for detailing. Must save an awful lot of time.

3. Posh

Posh Hero

As much as I try I always have to detail and I think it's a habbit now

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Out of interest...do you detail the whole of the window or just the edges?

5. Mark Henderson

The new Unger Ninja is a nice squeegee but minimizing detailing is more to do with technique than the squeegee.

There are a couple of squeegee related things you can do:

1. Don't have too much rubber overhang at the end of the squeegee. About 2 or 3 mm is about right. Anymore than that and I find the rubber catches or bends on the frames and seals of some windows.

2. If you do mostly domestic stuff then you likely use a shorter squeegee length. For shorter squeegee lengths try 'dog earing' your squeegee. It puts a bit of extra pressure on the corners of the rubbers.
    (See: http://www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk/html/dog_earing_window_cleaning_tip.html)

As regards technique:

1. Don't use too much water.

2. Go right up to the frames but without getting them wet.(Miss them by a few mm - there's the skill involved. The end edges are not as likely to wet the frames as the length of the applicator)

3. If your squeegee is at this angle \ when you run down the frame then the rubber corner edge is pointing like this into the seal >
    Seems to collect all the water away from the seals like that and leaves very little detailing, especially if you don't soap up right onto the seals.

4. Finish at the bottom edge of the window rather than carrying the water to the side frames.

There is one other thing you can do....... buy my Advanced WC Skills DVD :D

6. its almost impossible to squeegee a window without the need for detailing of at least one edge, as for the best squeegee the SPC i feel is by far the best

Advertisement