Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Strange Thing Happened Yesterday...moral Advice Required!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mrtaytay

Something strange happened yesterday. I went round to a new customers house. An OAP bloke living in the standard OAP bungalow...just a few windows to clean, so I decided just to charge him a fiver. It had not been cleaned for some time so the frames and sills were mucky. In those situations I always spend a bit more time cleaning them up so that on future cleans its just a simple wipe down of the frames/sills. It took me 30 minutes...will take 15 next time...maybe less. Anyway, the bloke came to the door and said I had done good job and had worked very hard. He then thrust 50 quid into my hand and insisted that I took it as a token of his gratitude. I spent 5 minutes trying to give it back to him, but he wouldnt have it. I could have chucked it on the floor but feel that could have been insulting. There is no way that he would take it back. Anyway, I feel really bad about it and might phone him tomorrow to see if he wants to change his mind....what do you all think?

Its a tricky one. My dark side says take it, I have this other side saying you should phone him back or ask to speak to a family member and see if he's ''okay'' they may be great full you called , another potential customer?

Or if he won't take it back just clean his windows and don't collect for a long time or give his gutters and fascias a clean I'm sure you could do a little work for him to make up for the £45 it is a hard situation your in there mate

Its a tricky one. My dark side says take it, I have this other side saying you should phone him back or ask to speak to a family member and see if he's ''okay'' they may be great full you called , another potential customer?
Sound advice, maybe speak to a neighbour though.

Woah lol just give his house a full valet /emoticons/tongue.png
Problem is if he's not the full ticket he might want to thrust some more cash at ya, or worse forget ya his window cleaner and phone dom littlewood or something and ya get done for tryin to fleece him.
I'd at least speak to a neighbour before ya did anything, besides looking after his interests which we should all do I reckon for the oldies you've covered ya back. I know thats a bit alarmist but it's the world we live in.

I have just phoned him and he told me that I had done a good job, worked my knackers off, he was very grateful and that I should accept the 50 quid with the gratitude that was intended.

I dont know if there is anything else that I can do.

All I can say then is, I was brought up in New Houghton which ain't far from you and I'm moving back and cleaning windows round your way lol.

Yeah speak to a neighbour.

Bet be sure as you don't want a bad rep and elderly need looking after.

You're spot on for being a bit concerned what to do.

Or if you're really unsure what to do give me his details and I'll clean his windows from now on /emoticons/wink.png

I could do with £50 for 15 mins.

I kid I kid, my wife agree's check with a neighbour.

it was two 20s and a ten. I feel ok about it now, having rung him again. He told me to treat myself to a few beers. I told him that the next clean must be 5 pounds minimum charge only. When I last visited he said it might have to be higher because of the effort I put in!!

Back