Best way to start out using the WFP in my Car?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by buzzing, May 17, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

Just come back from a window cleaning festival and spoke to a few people. I currently just do traditional on bunglows, but want to expand to make more money. I dont quite want to get a van yet as I just do this on Saturdays and it will be P/T for awhile. Someone told me to get a small RO system in my small shed then carry this water to a 125 litre container in my boot (or pump it) then use a pump from my boot to the poles for when I do the cleaning. Does this sound better than using just the DI on trolleys or water from a RO on trolleys which are stored on my car's back seat? I heard the trolleys are a pain. Please advise?

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Get a van and stop messing about would be my best advice I could give you.
    Regardless if you are part time or not when it takes off as it will you will wished you got yourself a van sooner rather than messing about like that. I should know as I'm speaking from first hand experience here.

3. WJCN64

WJCN64 Active Member

well i have been using 4jerry can and a gardener backpack for 2 years now and finaly got a van my advice is try and save for a small van while you use backpack pump system.http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Gardiner-Pure-Water-Trolleys-Backpack.html

4. Vortexjim

Vortexjim Member

buzzing Good luck with your set up I hope it goes well for you.

I was struggling to decide wether to get a trolley/backpack system or I had the chance of a cheap van however the work the van needed was beyond it worth .

So I have now decided and am in the middle of setting up a WFP system that will run out of my Classic Mini… ( yes you read right ….)

• Battery / pump and controller are to be fitted underneath rear seat bin

• 100m Microbore on a reel in the boot

• 3 x 25 liter containers will the sit where the rear seat should be and 2 where the passenger seat should be.

there will also be enough room to carry my pole (hopefully a slx 25 ) diagonally within the car between jobs.

I live in quite a small town in the north of Scotland . I'm unsure how much water I'm going to be using but popping back to my house to collect more water throughout the day will be easy enough as I'm central to everything.

Now all I need is the Mrs to go out and get a job so that I can ditch my current job and concentrate on this fully.

5. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

I have a pretty small round- maybe 20 bungalows, I also do odd jobs and gardening (not a lot), but all this is part time to main morning (Mon- Fri) job. In my car's boot I have my traditional equipment- bucket etc and my tool bag and other tools. I have a Citroen Xsara. If the boot was big enough for the the pure water system I would have to move my tool bag etc and trad stuff onto the back seat. Would it be big enough? Also, I live in a shared house. I have a small one metre high shed thing about two metres wide and and a metre and half deep. I guess I would have to put a hose from mains into there and have the RO device in there purifying the water? then a pump and hose of about 20 metres to my car? How long would it take to pump the water into my car's boot?
    Am thinking of van, but not sure if it's worth it financially!

6. keir

keir Guru

I know a lad who got 125 litres tank fitted in a corsa hatchback along with pump etc, so it can be done.
    As for transferring water from shed to car, i have a submersible pump that fills my 350 ltr tank in 4:30 mins its something like 7500 ltrs an hour cost me about £35

You could think about a trailer set up, thats what i went for

7. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

can i just ask you keir what diameter hose you use and how far you have to transfer the water (how long the hose is)? my pump is rated 7500l/h too but it's much slower, tho i use normal garden hose, and i can only park about 10-15m away from my ibc
    that 4:30 sounds great

8. keir

keir Guru

Yeah its an inch diameter and my ibc to trailer is about 2 meters, judging by the flow of mine i doubt it would make any difference if it was 2m or 20m i think the bore size might be you're problem.

9. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

Yeah how are the trailors, better than getting a van? Any recommendations or buy own trailor and make own?

10. keir

keir Guru

#10 keir, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Better?? Depends on your needs personally, financially and professionally

Personally i like the comforts of a nice car, financially i cant justify running a car and a van plus there is no way on gods earth i could just have a van
    Professionally if you want sign writing, big tanks, more than 1 man, how big your round is, what type of work you have i.e. Residential or commercial. Mine is pretty much all residential but if i was doing commercial i dont think it would look good turning up with my little trailer compared to a transit or something similar all sign written.
    My set up suits me perfectly, dont get me wrong i know a company who has a huge trailer with all the bells and whistles but he travels up down the country doing huge jobs and has several vans too.
    But also i think my set up looks a load better than turning up in a beat up knackered old small white van but that just my opinion lol

Oh yeah, i had a trailer and when first going wfp got a system fitted cheaply as i didnt know how everything worked and just wanted to be up and running, but after a year upgraded myself as i knew how everything worked by then and had used it enough to know how i wanted it to be.

Advertisement